Jones Beene wrote:
Jeff Fink wrote:

I read somewhere a long time ago that the offspring of interracial unions are, in general, bigger healthier and smarter than "pure breds". Does any
one know the source of that, or if it has been proven.

It's called "Heterosis" or more simply "hybrid vigor" ... if it were not true in the plant world, most of us would be starving today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_vigor

There are observers who will come close to repeating Watson's logical error with the premise that the world dominance of the USA is based on intellectual "vigor";

Let's not forget that the entire human race has a microscopic fraction of the genetic diversity found in almost every other species (cheetahs being one notable exception). The races may look very different to *us*, as humans (with our powerful evolved-in ability to distinguish between individual humans), but from the point of view of the genome we're all very similar.

It's not at all clear that there's enough genetic diversity in humanity to produce any kind of interesting "hybrid vigor" effect, regardless of what representatives are chosen.

There are also very few "purebred" humans, on any continent, and certainly not anywhere on mainland Europe, where there's been trade with the four corners of the earth for centuries out of mind.