There have been many studies of the relationship between cultural attributes
and economic or technological 'progress.'  I think several things can be
said about this that these studies tend to miss:

1.      As I see it, 'Progress' is itself a culturally defined notion. What
seems like progress in one culture may be viewed as societal
self-destruction in another. So if we are to use the term usefully, we will
have to define what we mean by 'progress'.

2.      Culture, like organizations, individuals, or societies, can be
viewed as a human system. That is, it will have a set of basic functions
taking place within a structure that links its different components. (Jim
Miller LIVING SYSTEMS THEORY and Stafford Beer VIABLE SYSTEMS MODEL suggest
ways to create models of these systemic functions and structures.)

Human systems go beyond others in the sense that human systems involve
values, hopes for the future, fears, etc. The sum of these things is what we
call 'culture'. (I am not using the term in the sense of the arts, theater,
music, etc.) 'Progress', then would be a value that a society might or might
not place great emphasis on.

3.      In the West and in Europe and the US in particular, notions of
progress have become dominated by the notion of wealth and acquisition and
so we embrace technology and the exploitation of natural resources as the
means and fuel for such economically-defined progress. But in many other
cultures, 'progress' is seen differently, and the West's definition is
viewed with emotions and analyses that range form envy, to horror, to
repudiation, to boredom.

4.      Yes, the West is viewed as being in the ascendancy on a
technological, military, and wealth-generation sense. But several things may
be reversing this, including, the growing relative financial weakness of the
West, the emerging critique of seduction-and-status based consumerism, our
growing dependency on outsourcing, the growing military and medical budgets
- all of which can be seen as a form of buffering other dysfunctionalities
built into 'Western culture'.  It is not hard to imagine several other
cultures competing to replace the West's as the dominating one, along with
their various paradigms of what 'progress' means.

It would be a silly mistake, I think, to think that the West has found all
the answers and will retain its ascendancy indefinitely.  This is certainly
not the lesson of history, which has seen the ascendant culture shift among
the Middle East, Asia, Europe and less often, the Americas and Africa.

5.      It would seem to me that the only strategy that will assist a
culture in remaining fresh and vibrant and relevant generally to the
opportunities that the evolution of the world offers is one that is
intensely curious about other cultures, able to appreciate their genuine
strengths and weaknesses, and to learn form them. A successful culture must
then know how to routinely transform itself functionally and structurally
based upon a wise and expanded definition of culture and values.

6.      So perhaps the most viable cultures today will prove to be those
that are dissatisfied with themselves, able to learn and to change, and
determined to pursue the potential for creating a good society that lies
within their culture.

Lawrence

  _____