Horace we can't be right, or the whole thing would have to be a gross scam.
This serious looking
resource here:

http://www.efcf.com/reports/E14.pdf

seems to agree reasonably with Wikipedia's 12kWh:
"At 20°C a 300 Liter tank filled with air at 300 bar carries 51 MJ of energy."

That's 51000 kW s / 3 600 = 14.2 kW h

I guess we'll both have to brush up our thermodynamics :/ But we are not the
only ones to get it
wrong, according to the above paper's abstract:

"the claimed performance has been questioned by car manufacturers and
automobile expert. Basically, when referred to ambient conditions, the
relatively
low energy content of the compressed air in a tank of acceptable volume is
claimed to be insufficient to move even small cars over meaningful distances.
On the other hand, another air car developer claims to have driven 184 km on
one 300 Liter filled with air at initially 300 bar pressure"

I just saw Robin's explanation for the discrepancy (heat taken from ambient air
during expansion,
which produces cold air as is well know), it makes sense to me. It's quite
remarkable that 9 kWh out
of the 12 seem to be provided by the environment! It would also mean that the
car's range could be
considerably reduced in very cold weather. It might also give insight into how
the fuel (gasoline,
whatever) is used in highway mode... maybe it simply heats up the expanding air
to get more energy
out of it?

Michel