Howdy Thomas,
There is a far step from an inventor and an engineer- design team. Mention the word "inventor" and we run. Mention the inventors' work is patented and we duck our head waiting for the noise sure to follow. All engine designs that perform useful work are similar. The difference between them are people. Some engines like Cummins diesel have what it takes, Detroit diesel don't have it. It will take some real work to get Cummins to change.

THe Wankel rotary is an example of designers that love to play smartypants. They finally got a perfectly useless engine to work. Down the road aways comes the battery operated jalopy made of bicycle components... try applying this technology to high speed diesel motor trucks and discover why we need new motor fuels that fuel 500-800 HP truck engines and Cat dozers. Hoss power is horse manure.. torque is what a mule's got in his rear. This world needs a whole new stable of advanced radical engine designs for work engines just like we need energy efficent autos.
Richard

I corresponded with an inventor who had a patent on an engine design that sounded similar to this.

R C Macaulay wrote:

Interesting thinking Jones. A proposed valveless, pistonless engine/motor concept is being studied whereas the "engine" is ring shaped and drives a cluster of embedded cavity discs positioned with the ring. The design approach

Jones  wrote,

The following suggestion, or a version of it, will be

implemented by some perceptive auto manufacturer in
the coming years.