Author-Authur wrote a short story 55 years ago -  “The Nine Billion Names of
God” which has not received as much comment in the various obits which have
come out -- as the more famous "Childhood's End" ... which curiously, was
written at almost the exact same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God

... in which  story, computer programmers were sent to a remotemonastery in
Tibet to help the monks compile alist of all the names of God. The story offers
more surprising insight into the kind of "spiritual atheism" which Clarke is
suspected of harboring. His was a kind of Buddhist outlook, more so than
atheistic.

Never mind that in a rewrite of the tale in 2008, any old X-boxes could do the
job of figuring our all the permutations of the possible names in about 10
microseconds. That is part of the quaint naiveté of many Sci-Fi stories from
the fifties, when looked back in retrospect. Anyway, ACC's story came around
long before the X-box was available; and to make the plot work, it was said
that once the list was complete the monksbelieved that the pre-ordained cosmic
destiny of our planet would be fulfilled; and the "worldwould end." This is
somewhat reminiscent of the denouement of "Childhood's End" ... at least in
transactional relevance. Take the two plots together, and you have the insight
into Clarke's kind of Zen.

The reason this came to mind just now, was not only the recnet changes in the
night sky - but also a song playing on internet radio as I was stargazing last
night, The song was titled "9 million bicycles in Beijing." Isn't the human
mind a very strange kind of information processor ?

BTW the short story ends with the programmers fleeing the monastery to
escape the monks’ disfavor -- since the program finished the task, and the
world was
still there, but oops... one of them looks up:

“Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.”

Come to think of it.... without Authur around, the night sky does seem to
twinkle less that before.

Jones