----- Original Message ----- From: "Jed Rothwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mike Carrell wrote:

As far as the gibberish factor re Mills, the same can be said of all the attempts to find a theory for LENR to stand on.

That is true. If LENR were based on the theories that have devised up until now, instead of experimental observations, I would not believe a word of it.

Both are outside of the realm of conventional physics.

I do not think that has been confirmed. Cold fusion might have a conventional explanation. I don't know about the BLP effect.

In his book, Ed Storms summarized the various LENR phenomena and the candidate theories, all wanting. A deeper understanding is needed which may embrace what is known, as relativity embraces Newton. Mills now claims a Grand Unified Theory of Classical Physics -- bypassing quantum mechanics.

Therefore one must pay attention to the experiments, and I don't think Jed has done this as carefully as with LENR.

No, I have not. Not at all. I have not seen much hands-on information on BLP, but tons about cold fusion. Also, I have visited labs to cold fusion experiments in person, and I have spoken with hundreds of cold fusion researchers, but I have only spoken with Mills a few times, briefly. I attended a lecture by his co-worker at MIT in 1992. It was impressive, but there has been no follow-up.

This makes a lot of difference.

a) The research reactors operate at about 1 Torr and power is needed to maintainthe vacuum
b)Microwave excited research reactors use an inefficient RF power supply.
c)The gas mixtures are predominantly catalyst, which has to be recycled or it becomes a consumable d)Energy output from the reaction is in the deep UV, which is converted to heat and a wasteful thermal cycle
e)Water is electrolyzed to provide a source on hydrogen
These are internal support items requiring energy before any is left over for external use. The new reactor has sufficient energy outout to be self sustaining with water as an external fuel.

I gather this means: The new reactor produces enough heat with enough Carnot efficiency to run a conventional small steam turbine generator. (Not that it actually does run a generator, but it could.) This generator would produce enough electricity to operate the RF power supply and electrolysis. It would thus be a self-sustaining reaction.

That is the necessity before you have a product. Although not explicity stated, the new configuration does not seem to need a vacuum. The atomic H and catalyst are produced from the solid surface, presumeably in proximity so they can react immediately and in high density. So, scratch the microwave generator and vacuum pump. The animation suggests that the reaction produces H(1/4), which yields lots of energy. The process of regenerating the solid fuel is unstated, but it is stated that sufficient energy is available.

I assume you mean a steam generator rather than, say, a thermoelectric generator, which is less efficient.

Also, the absolute power output is high enough for a real steam turbine, not something like a toy that produces a fraction of a watt. By the way, I own a toy piston steam engine, a 40-year-old version of the D6 model shown here:

The system is stated as scalable. I expect the entrepreneural ingenuity will find myriad variations as the reality of BLP becomes known. At present, only heat is useable. There will be incentive to find a way to use PV cells to tap the energy directly. There is work on thermoelectric cells to capture low grade heat. All that will come in time.

Mike Carrell

http://www.neatstuff.net/engines/dry-spirit.html

You can hook a toy generator to this.

This Email has been scanned for all viruses by Medford Leas I.T. Department.