From: "Michel Jullian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:46 AM
Subject: [Vo]:Re: Eye of the Gyre

I wrote:

> We seed the appropriate algae species directly off an island coast somewhere
> upstream
> e.g. in Azores, the field widens by diffusion and grows while it gyres
> clockwise in
> subtropical temperatures and insolation, and it concentrates again by
> vortical effect in
> the eye of the gyre SE of Bermuda a few hundred days later for harvesting...
> plausible?

It turns out we are not the first to tread this wet path of cultivating
sargassum in the Sargasso Sea, or other Gyre, for biofuel. A Google search on
biofuel and sargassum reveals, among ~1000 hits, this nice recently published
patent application:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20080057177.html?highlight=20080057177&stemming=on

which covers most of our concepts, but not all, e.g. not the above scenario of
remote seeding and automagic expansion/reconcentration of the growing surface,
which I think allows better use of resources and higher production than seeding
where you harvest as he suggests.

Excerpt: "This indicates the possibility that the Sargasso Sea project could
supply about 74% of the U.S. annual demand for oil and biofuel components."
Come on Vorts, can't we do better than this?

Michel

Quote:
<<...
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE INVENTION
The production of biofuel from the fertilization of the ocean surface would
greatly increase the biofuels available to the U.S., reducing the nation's
reliance on imported crude oil. In order to do this economically the biomass
created must be suitable for efficient harvest. The phytoplankton normally
produced by ocean fertilization (see referenced patents) are so small, 1-20 ηm
diameter, that they cannot be separated from the water in large tonnages
efficiently. Therefore a larger biomass plant must be grown such as seaweed.
Seaweeds, like larger terrestrial plants are usually anchored to the ground
with hold-fast root systems. This protects them from drifting with the currents
to less hospitable areas such as sandy beaches and rocky shores. The Sargasso
Sea weed is unique in that it is not anchored by roots and can drift with the
currents. However, the currents must be such that they keep the Sargassum weed
confined to an enclosed sea away from shore with minimum leakage. The Sargasso
Sea, with an area of about 2,000,000 sq mi has no continental shores and has a
low leakage rate for the enclosed Sargassum weeds. There may be other areas of
the world's oceans that also have suitable long residence time for floating
seaweeds and/or other plant life in the water that will be revealed by further
study.

The Sargassum weed grows in an area of the North Atlantic bounded by the Gulf
Stream on the west. The Corriolis force turns this current to the east where
the force further turns it to the south off the coast of Europe. This current
then turns to the west across the south Atlantic to join the Gulf Stream,
completing the entrapment of the North Atlantic Ocean water that forms the
Sargasso Sea. The Sargassum weed is the same family of seaweed that grows along
the shores of the Atlantic Ocean but has lost its ability to grow roots,
allowing it to float with the current and form mats on the ocean surface. The
current curves to the right as it circulates slowly moving to the center of the
Sargasso Sea where it forms a low hump and slowly sinks through the
thermocline. The long-lived weed soon uses up the fertilizing elements in the
surface water restricting its growth. However, the weed has developed the
ability to use up the iron that is blown into the Sargasso Sea as dust from the
Sahara Desert in Africa and also uses up the dissolved phosphate in the water.
The weed then uses the refactory organic phosphate to maintain growth while
recycling the iron as chlorophyll. The addition of soluble iron as lignin acid
sulphonate and the addition of soluble ammonium phosphate should increase the
growth rate of the Sargassum weed by 10 to 100 times. The ambient
nitrogen-fixing phytoplankton in the area should be able to satisfy the nitrate
required but if this is found not to be the case additional nitrogen fixers,
such as Trichodesmium can be added to maintain growth. There are few fish in
the Sargasso Sea, only a few small crabs and crustaceans in the Sargassum weed.

The maximum growth rate of the Sargassum weed attainable with fertilization is
not accurately known. Other species of brown algae are fast growers, as fast as
high-yield agricultural plants such as beans and grains. On land we grow sugar
cane, which produces about 25,000 tons of biomass per sq mi per year. We
estimate that in the Sargasso Sea we could produce as much as 10,000 tons of
biomass per sq mi per year of which 5,000 tons could be converted into biofuel
components. The Sargasso Sea is about 2000 miles long, east to west, and 1000
miles north to south, for a total area of about 2,000,000 sq mi. If we could
fertilize 20% of this we would have 400,000 sq mi. This area, with a 50%
conversion rate, times 5000 tons per sq mi per year gives a total of about
1,000,000,000 tons of biofuel per year. At 350 lbs per barrel (5.7 barrels/ton)
this gives 5,700,000,000 barrels per year of biofuel. The current U.S. crude
consumption is about 7,700,000,000 barrels/year and the world demand is about
31,000,000,000 barrels/year. This indicates the possibility that the Sargasso
Sea project could supply about 74% of the U.S. annual demand for oil and
biofuel components. The Sargassum weed, itself, as well as by-products of the
biofuel component processing could also be used for cattle fodder and other
purposes. There may be other ocean areas that can also be brought into
production and there may be many difficulties to bringing about the indicated
production. Perhaps the greatest difficulty is the institution of private
property rights in the open ocean far from land. This is required if the
investment of fertilization can result in the harvesting of the Sargassum weed
as required for a robust long-term commercialization of this fuel source. The
long term advantage to the U.S. and the world, which will gain from the
lowering of the CO 2 concentration of the atmosphere by the application of this
technology, will provide the necessary impetus for the privatization of the
open ocean required. This can be done by maintaining the free access now
enjoyed but restricting the harvesting of the Sargassum weed for the production
of biofuels produced by fertilization.

Should it be determined that a significant portion of the biomass produced
cannot be harvested but is sequestered in the deep ocean as described in the
referenced patents, then measurements of the amount of CO 2 sequestered can be
made and carbon sequestration credits can be claimed as covered by those
patents. Likewise, if fish are caught inadvertently by the harvesting
operation, any commercialization of their biomass can be claimed by the holders
of the referenced patents for increased fish production. Each of these
inadvertent results is expected to be small.

The cost of fertilization is expected to be low resulting in the increased
production of biomass in the fertilized area, which is equal to the harvested
biomass plus the increase in biomass left behind after the harvest The total
biomass is expected to be about 2×10 9 tons/yr (about 1.2×10 9 tons C). This
will require about 1.3×10 6 tons/yr of chelated iron (at 12% Fe) and about
25×10 6 tons of ammonium phosphate per year. Note that the Redfield ratios are
increased by about a factor of 8 for phosphate and a factor of 4 for iron. As
noted, extra iron and phosphorous will be added to assure continued growth of
the Sargassum weed after the harvesting.

These estimates of return from fertilizing will be changed by measurements at
the site and the amounts measured there. They do, however, give an indication
of the capacity of the Sargasso Sea and perhaps other ocean gyres to produce
biomass for biofuel production.

The other costs include the ship time for the spreading of the fertilizers and
the harvesting of the biomass, the processing of the biomass to biofuel
components, the blending to obtain fuels for internal combustion engines (such
as bio diesel) and the sale of these fuel blends. The cost of these activities
is small in comparison with the expected value of 5.7×10 9 barrels of biofuel,
which, at $42/barrel, should be worth $240×10 9 per year.