Jones, Michael and all future friends of the Gyre Algaculture Company
(Vortigro ? ;-), I am afraid that the Canary islands would probably be the
worst possible harvesting location for our North Atlantic Gyre farming
operation.

I have found this map of the sargassum distribution at
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/graphics/seagpic.gif :

The best place for harvesting seems to be near the Bermuda islands (little
dot at NW of the hatched circle where the sargassum has the highest
density), while the best place for seeding, if any seeding is needed, could
remain the Canary islands, or may be the Azores (at the NE end of the solid
line zone). This is because floating things, while going round the Gyre,
tend to collect from the periphery to the "eye" (we Vorts have known all
along that the solution would involve a vortex haven't we ? ;-), including
garbage especially plastics (free recyclable plastic as a bonus!), see e.g.
in the North Pacific Gyre (another one of the 5 major Gyres: the S and N
Atlantic, the S and N Pacific, and the Indian Ocean Gyres):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

The eye is also the "top of the hill" (1 or 2m above average ocean level),
and the place where decaying algae (and decaying-whatever-ends-up-there
including of course wrecked ships, ocean floor must be interesting there!)
sink in the central downwards current.

All comments, facts, ideas, criticisms welcome, like Richard said united
Vortician talents could do wonders on a project like this.

Michel