Michael Foster sez:

> Just for the record, now that they are all running for
> cover and ducking the tough questions, those so-called
> enviromentalists and global warming twinkies who
> initially promoted biofuels need to be held
> accountable. They won't, of course, since they'll be
> responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands,
> if not millions of the world's most vulnerable people
> and of course, the usual excuse will be offered...
> "They did it in a good cause."

Not all are "ducking" Certain potential Ethanol sympathizers have
countered with their own accusations. The recent TIME magazine Front
Page article titled "The Clean Energy Myth" (April 7, 2008) did have
two interesting letters in defense to certain biofuel practices. I've
transcribed their letters below, followed by my own comments:

* * * *

"THE CLEAN ENERY MYTH" misses the mark [April 7]. The one-sided and
scientifically uninformed piece ignores the large potential of second-
and third-generation biofuels to reduce greenhouse gasses and the
ability of modern agriculture to responsibly manage land use. The
Science magazine article (by Searchinger et al) on which Time relies
has been thoroughly rebutted by leading scientist at the Department of
Energy Argonne National laboratory. TIME owes its readers the totality
of facts to avoid misinformation. For many decades, the U.S. has
worked with farmers and the scientific community to increase crop
yields, reduce the intensity fo pesticide and fertilizer use, improve
water productivity and promote conservation tillage that reduces
erosion and sequesters carbon. Substantial progress continues in all
these areas and was not sufficiently addressed. Last year alone our
agencies invested more than $1 billion in research, development and
demonstration of next-generation-biofuels production from nonfood
feedstocks, which remains the core U.S. strategy. Our government is
committed to advancing technological solutions to promote and increase
the use of clean, secure, abundant, affordable and domestic
alternative solutions.

Ed Schafer, U.S. Department of Agriculture
Secretary, and Samuel W. Bodman, U. S. Department of Energy Secretary
Washington

* * * *

It is wrong to attribute a significant part of the increase in Amazon
deforestation to biofuels, as Mr. Gunwald does. First, suggestions
that Brazil is a major culprit in global warming are not supported by
scientific facts or reliable statistics. Second, the growth rate of
Brazilian emissions has been on the decline primarily because of
decreasing rates of Amazon rain-forest deforestation, which is the
main source of carbon emissions in Brazil, and increasing use of
ethanol fuel. Furthermore, from 1970 to 2005  the use of ethanol in
our energy mix has averted the emission of 644 million tons of CO2,
the equivalent of Canada's annual emissions. When compared with the
unsustainable energy  paterns used in major developed countries, the
Brazilian experience can be considered a model. Contrary to what the
article claims, ethanol has been a central part of the solutions.

Antonio de Aguiar Patriota
Ambassador of Brazil to the U.S.
WASHINGTON

* * * *

Personal comments:

DOA Secretary, Shafer, and DOE Secretary, Bodman, complain that
Grunwal's article ignores the large potential of second- and
third-generation biofuels to reduce greenhouse gasses and the ability
of modern agriculture to responsibly manage land use, (as analyzed by
Searchinger et al).

That is incorrect. Grunwald's TIME article specifically states:

The lesson behind the math is that on a warming planet, land is an
incredibly precious commodity, and every acre used to generate fuel is
an acre that can't be used to generate the food needed to feed us or
the carbon storage needed to save us. Searchinger acknowledges that
biofuels can be a godsend if they don't use arable land. Possible
feedstocks include municipal trash, agriculture waste, ALGAE [My
caps!] and even carbon dioxide, although none of the technologies are
yet economical on a large scale. Tilman even holds out hope for fuel
crops - he's been experimenting with Midwestern prairie grasses – as
long as they're grown on "degraded lands" that can no longer support
food crops or cattle.

Ambassador Patriota's comments that Brazilian emissions has been on
the decline primarily because of decreasing rates of Amazon
rain-forest deforestation would seem to contradict Grunwald's claims.
For example, Grunwald's TIME article states at one point that a Rhode
Island-size chunk of the Amazon was deforested in the second half of
2007 and even more was degraded by fire.

I could see how it might be possible that Patriota's claims are
accurate - due to the possibility that in 2008, there is now less and
less of the Brazilian forest left to deforest and burn.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks