--- Michel

> I am not aware that the fusion rate in a Farnsworth
> Fusor is anomalous as you suggest.

After all of these decades, it's not now all that much
of a surprise (to anyone who hasn't been confined in
an ivory tower) but it once was deemed anomalous.

> If it was, I would think mainstream science would
have reacted by now.

Hmm... Thirty+ years, yes ... that would be about
right, except that too much notice of it might detract
from the obscene funding levels for hot fusion.

Actually hot fusion funding is probably not obscene,
per se -- except by comparison with the promising but
unfunded alternatives.

> Also are you sure that 20-40 keV electrons are at
> play there, or did you mean 20-40 keV deuterons?

The plasma is balanced and net neutral so there are
both electrons, positive ions (deuterons) and negative
ions.

... and perhaps redundant-ground-state species not yet
identified ;-)

If I am not mistaken, the (D2-) ion is more prevalent
than one would suspect, indicative of three body
interaction -- but it has been a while since I was
following all the posts on that forum (which are quite
perceptive, in comparison with other forums)

> am yet to understand electrode polarity in these
> contraptions, is the outer electrode positive or
> negative?

Either way will work. Farnsworth himself was fond of
adding an electron gun(s) in addition to the grid;
which was the design which had the highest output
(still five orders of magnitude [or more] from
breakeven)

Richard Hull has debunked the myth of an actual
"runaway," but they were getting so 'hot' by the time
that ITT dropped the program that they had to be
operated in a shielded 'pit'.

Jones