Hello. Is this NSF guy (or the writer of the article)
a total nut case, or did I get out of bed on the wrong
side:

"The simplicity of this process is amazing," Luis
Echegoyen, director of the National Science
Foundation's chemistry division, said in a statement.
"Using common and affordable elements, and a glass of
water, these chemists may have given us a future way
to efficiently obtain oxygen by splitting water."

END of quote, and candidate for most shortsighted
comment of the week by an educated scientist. Or else,
the worst science journalism of the century.

Hello ... Luis is there anybody in there? It's little
wonder that the NSF doesn't understand LENR- they do
not even understand the difference between Redox
half-cell reactions, and why two half-cells do not
imply a workable whole-cell - not to mention: what
really constitutes a breakthrough.

... we already possess an efficient way to get oxygen,
and you're breathing with it now. What about the
hydrogen, Luis?

Let me answer that. This is NO breakthrough, as it
turns out. At least in the two silly news stories I
read just now. It is rather ho-hum in fact. Producing
solar hydrogen without added current still requires
platinum or paladium on the cathode, which we can
never afford - and we can already do everything stated
at decent efficiency with added current, and they
cannot promise very more efficiency not lower cost, so
where is the beef, really?

- but less we forget ... the scientists involved in
this say they expect that need for platinum to be
overcome by **ongoing research.** Just as Ballard and
half a dozen Canadian high flying fuel cell scam
artists have been say for the past decade.

Is MIT really this hard-up for a news story, or what
am I missing?

Jones