--- Horace

> It appears to me this is a world changing
> development.

I hope you are right. However, this is not the first
so-called world changing development in water
splitting.

Many observers thought we were on the brink of the
"hydrogen age" with "Hot Elly" a few years ago. And
NREL / DoE had a nuclear process which was almost as
promising. These two announcements were part of the
reason that we heard so much hype about the coming
"hydrogen age" a few years ago.

Then - sadly - all available Federal money was sucked
into the War-on-Terror. And don't we all feel so much
more secure because of that!

Hot Elly is the German device that used waste heat to
reach very high efficiency, and they were claiming to
be able to go to solar heat "real soon now". It used
cheap zircon cermamic as electrodes - no need for
metal at those temps - but this (apparently) never got
out of the lab - or else google alerts has lost its
'scent'...

... or hopefully perhaps it has gone underground for
competitive reasons. It made a lot of sense. Here is
the quote from the German Aerospace Center (circa
2004):

"The Hot Elly project has demonstrated that a
breakthrough in water electrolysis efficiencies is
possible by going to high temperatures (900-1000°C).
The electrical efficiencies demonstrated in the Hot
Elly electrolyser was close to 92% compared to 50-60%
in traditional alkaline electrolysers."

"By making use of an external source of heat such as
concentrated solar, it is possible to increase the
electrical efficiency even further."

As we kibitzers on Vo have opined many times, there is
no cheaper way to use solar energy than concentrating
the suns energy with mirrors for heating water to high
temperature. Once the steam has been split, the
remnant heat content is still quite substantial and
could be used with advanced thermoelectrics.

Yet no one is doing this today AFAIK.

Jones