From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 11:43 AM
To: vortex-L@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Sunspotless

To summarize my point about chutzpah, Rick Monteverde wrote:

>Never said there was no warming, I said we didn't do it and that we're
>not capable of doing anything practical to change it.

You can say this without irking me and other conventionally-minded,
pocket-protector scientific type people by rephrasing a little. Just throw
in some weasel words. You do not even have to be sincere; you may be
thinking your version in your mind, but instead of saying it directly and
forcefully, you say:

"Never said there was no warming, I said there are indications that
sources other than   CO2 emissions from human sources may not be the
only cause. Natural CO2 emissions may also play a role, and there is
evidence that other factors contribute. Furthermore, although I agree that
atmospheric physics are well understood, computer models predicting
long-range change have notable weaknesses which are comparable to or at
least analogous to the well-known tendency of short range forecasts to
degrade into noise because of their probabilistic nature."

See? That wasn't hard! You can say anything you like as long as you pad it
with doubts, evasions and escape clauses. I will disagree but you will not
get my goat.