Rick Monteverde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 9-5-08:

``... Stephen, I don't care what a majority of scientists
or mainstream publishers or whatever have concluded, just
as I'm sure Jed doesn't care how many think CF is bunk, in
terms that situation having any bearing on the nature of
the evidence or the conclusions he has come to regarding
the evidence. They can all be wrong, and in the case of
CF we're pretty certain they are, so there's your proof
that a consensus does not necessarily mean much.

There is significant evidence pointing away from the
warming cause being related to the "huge" (what, 4 tenths
of a percent is it?) CO2 output we're responsible for. In
addition, computer models used to support it as a cause
are inherently flawed ...''

-----------

Stephen A. Lawrence [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote on
Friday, September 05, 2008 10:59 AM:

``... In any case, from what I've read, the "experts",
while not 100% certain of the cause, are in near-universal
agreement that it is *very* *likely* that the cause
is anthropogenic greenhouse gases.  One reason for
concluding this, which doesn't take a sophisticated model
to understand or reason about, is that anthropogenic
atmospheric CO2 has been skyrocketing IN PARALLEL with
the global temperature,

[See remarks by Chuck Blatchley below] ...

As someone put it, we're conducting an experiment in
terraforming on an enormous scale and if the results don't
work out well we're going to be in trouble.  Perhaps we
should scale back the pace of the "experiment", eh?''

---------------------

Rick wrote on 9-6-08:

Robin, well and concisely put.

I only take issue with #3 because of the assumptions
that we should be trying to interfere with the situation,
and that warming is necessarily a bad thing in the long
run. Used to be a lot warmer, and for a very long time.

I say let nature handle the climate. It's our job to adapt
to it. So let's put our opposable thumbs and big brains to
work on the right problems. That still leaves people like
you for #6 in at least the same, if not an even better,
position. Right?

---------------

Hi All,

As I've mentioned previously, the real issue is not whether
burning fossil fuels is the main reason for global warming;
the real issue is whether or not we are going to be trapped
into sending young Americans to die for oil in the Kazakh
War of 2020, which will make the current military adventure
in Iraq look like a training exercise.

The situation is scary:  Paraphrasing a recent speech
to a wildly cheering crowd, "My friends, my platform is
more death, more recession, and eternal dependence on
foreign oil."

Jack Smith

--------------------

Robin van Spaandonk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote on Friday, September 05, 2008 11:35 AM

``Subject: Sunspotless

10:25:43 -1000: Hi,

Rick wrote:

The argument is whether there are anthropogenic causes to
it. I say that the models are incapable of directing that
conclusion because of their inherent shortcomings.

Robin wrote:

I agree that the models are only models and will never
get it 100% correct, however a few facts are obvious.

1) CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

2) The temperature is rising.

3) Reducing CO2 is the only means we have of influencing
the situation (albeit that we don't know exactly how
(in)effective that will be).

4) As a byproduct of switching from fossil fuels, we get
less air pollution which is better for our health.

5) If we do it right, we make a net profit rather than a
net loss.

6) If my ideas on fusion are correct, then that is going
to be a very large profit.''

--------------------

Robin van Spaandonk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
on 9-6-08

``While a warmer world might be nice in some respects,
it could have major consequences for humanity.

1) Coastal flooding (where most major cities have been
located for historical reasons).

2) Spreading of tropical diseases into temperate zones.

3) Possible major shifts in what will grow where. This
could have a serious impact on agriculture.

4) Increases in the frequency and severity of weather
extremes (which will also impact on agriculture).

While we undoubtedly have the ingenuity to deal with all
of these things, it is unlikely we can do so at no economic
and political cost.

By political cost, I mean the cost in lives lost due to
wars brought on by major migrations of people when the
region where they currently live becomes unsustainable. A
primary example of this is Bangladesh.

Therefore it seems wise to me to make a profit by pulling
on the only lever we have and possibly making a difference,
rather than just sitting back and doing nothing (while
probably making the situation worse) while we incur
considerable extra costs.''

---------------

Stephen wrote:

I don't understand why you seem to feel humans have no
control over human-generated carbon dioxide.

Rick wrote:

How you got that I don't know, but please don't tell
me. Of course we can control (dramatically reduce) it,
for instance by shutting down our economy and sharply
curtailing personal liberty ...

Here is an excerpt from a document signed by thousands of
scientists primarily to refute the lie being circulated
that scientific debate is over and there is an overwhelming
consensus in favor of AGW:

"There is no convincing scientific evidence that human
release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse
gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future,
cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere
and disruption of the Earth's climate. Moreover, there
is substantial scientific evidence that increases in
atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects
upon the natural plant and animal environments of the
Earth." ...''

---------------------

To Cycles:  ... Top 11 Warmest Yrs On Record In Last 13

Posted by: "g_etzkorn" [EMAIL PROTECTED] g_etzkorn

Date: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:14 am ((PST))

``Top 11 Warmest Years On Record Have All Been In Last
13 Years

ScienceDaily (Dec. 13, 2007)

The decade of 1998-2007 is the warmest on record, according
to data sources obtained by the World Meteorological
Organization (WMO). The global mean surface temperature
for 2007 is currently estimated at 0.41°C/0.74°F above
the 1961-1990 annual average of 14.00°C/57.20°F.

The University of East Anglia and the Met Office's Hadley
Centre have released preliminary global temperature figures
for 2007, which show the top 11 warmest years all occurring
in the last 13 years. The provisional global figure for
2007 using data from January to November, currently places
the year as the seventh warmest on records dating back to
1850 ...

WMO's global temperature analyses are based on two
different sources.  One is the combined dataset maintained
by both the Hadley Centre of the UK Meteorological Office,
and the Climatic Research Unit, University of East Anglia,
UK, which at this stage ranked 2007 as the seventh warmest
on record. The other dataset is maintained by the US
Department of Commerce's National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA), which indicated that 2007 is likely
to be the fifth warmest on record.

Since the start of the 20th century, the global average
surface temperature has risen by 0.74°C. But this rise
has not been continuous. The linear warming trend over
the last 50 years (0.13°C per decade) is nearly twice that
for the last 100 years.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change's 4th Assessment (Synthesis) Report, 2007, "warming
of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident
from observations of increases in global average air and
ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice,
and rising global average sea level."

Global 10 Warmest Years Mean Global temperature (°C)
(anomaly with respect to 1961-1990)

1998 0.52

2005 0.48

2003 0.46

2002 0.46

2004 0.43

2006 0.42

2007(Jan-Nov) 0.41

2001 0.40

1997 0.36

1995 0.28

Adapted from materials provided by World Meteorological
Organization.  ... continue to link for the whole story

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071213101419.htm

-------------------

2c. ... Top 11 Warmest Yrs On Record ...

Posted by: "Chuck B" [EMAIL PROTECTED] gumbo482001

Date: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:42 am ((PST))

Notice that the trend in the anomaly is steadily DOWN
since 1998, when global temperatures peaked. The models
predict that with continuing relatively rapid CO2 rise,
global temperatures should be continuing upward, when
they have actually gone down for the last nine years,
although still above the reference level.

---------------

2a. The link between solar cycle length and decadal global
temperature

Posted by: "Chuck Blatchley" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:18 am ((PDT))

"Miskolczi's story reads like a book. Looking at a series
of differential equations for the greenhouse effect,
he noticed the solution -- originally done in 1922 by
Arthur Milne, but still used by climate researchers
today -- ignored boundary conditions by assuming an
"infinitely thick" atmosphere. Similar assumptions are
common when solving differential equations; they simplify
the calculations and often result in a result that still
very closely matches reality. But not always.

So Miskolczi re-derived the solution, this time using the
proper boundary conditions for an atmosphere that is not
infinite. His result included a new term, which acts as a
negative feedback to counter the positive forcing. At low
levels, the new term means a small difference ... but as
greenhouse gases rise, the negative feedback predominates,
forcing values back down.

NASA refused to release the results.  Miskolczi believes
their motivation is simple.  "Money", he tells DailyTech.
Research that contradicts the view of an impending
crisis jeopardizes funding, not only for his own
atmosphere-monitoring project, but all climate-change
research.  Currently, funding for climate research tops
$5 billion per year.

Miskolczi resigned in protest, stating in his resignation
letter, "Unfortunately my working relationship with my
NASA supervisors eroded to a level that I am not able
to tolerate.  My idea of the freedom of science cannot
coexist with the recent NASA practice of handling new
climate change related scientific results."

His theory was eventually published in a peer-reviewed
scientific journal in his home country of Hungary."

A pdf version of Miskolczi's entire paper is here:''

http://met.hu/omsz.php?almenu_id=omsz&pid=references&mpx=0&pri=2&sm0=1