I blame Bush and his attitude because it was the philosophy he supported that removed the necessary controls from the credit market. There is nothing mysterious or difficult to understand about what will happen when children are allowed to do anything they want. Many people pointed out that such a system could not last. The outcome was so obvious that a person had to wonder about the sanity and honesty of the players. However, the no-nothing ideologues and the people who made money fought any change. Now they and the rest of us will pay the price of this ignorance and greed. The situation is very simple and does not require deep analysis now that the predicted consequences have been made clear.

Ed

On Sep 25, 2008, at 2:47 PM, Mike Carrell wrote:

Credit and confidence are essential for the creation of wealth. As Ed points out credit is needed to buy the menas for future production, whether of crops or goods. Confidence, or trust, is essential that the loan will be repaid. Whether implemented by barter, money, or credit cards, the essential structure is the same. Wealth is not in the tokensof exchange but in the created goods -- that the farmer can get seed and machinery to harvest the crops before the harvest occurs. The trap is that money itself can become a commodity, to be bought and sold without actual labor. One is again playing with confidence and its opposite, risk. The bank takes a risk that the loan will not be repaid, and carges a fee, called interest, for assuming the risk.

In a way we all play the "confidence" game. As FDR said we only need to fear itself, the loss of confidence, which disrupts the mutual trust on which commerce depends. The finger of greed points in every direction. We want more than we give. Wealth is not a matter of how much we have, but how little we need. A gift of the industrial age is that essentials for many can be produced by labor of fewer and fewer. A curse of the industrial age is that fewer and fewer havethe satisfaction of meaningful contributions to others. Then the human urges for status play out in trivia.

The global credit system should not be blamed on Bush. It is created by us all. The system dynamics is so complex that we individually and collectively do not really understand it, like the weather, climate, or a Mandelbrot Set. We get aircraft safety by analyzing crashes. Adjustments and controls will be necessary to recover fromt the present situation without choking off the dynamics of the creation of wealth.

Fundmentally, it depends on energy, the energy of human intelligence, and the physical energy to do work of all kinds.

Mike Carrell

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edmund Storms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Cc: "Edmund Storms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Do do do doo. Do do do doo...

Actually, credit is essential in an active economy. For example, suppose I want to start a business making widgets. Before I can get any income from their sale, I have to buy the machinery and hire people. This takes money up front, which must be borrowed. Once again, this is not rocket science. The problem is not the use of credit, it is the use of too much credit of the wrong kind. Normally the system is self regulating based on a bank taking responsibility for the loan and its repayment. This system broke down because a corrupt system was allow to grow in the US, mainly by the Bush administration. Again, this is a matter of fact, not opinion or liberal propaganda. Unless people acknowledge reality, there is no hope for a correction.

Ed