Good post Jed.

Yes the view of history depends on your race. Yes there are shenanigans down
south putting people off voting.

Seen from their perspective they might cynically say that universal suffrage
was just a bid to get poor, desperate voters - a guaranteed pool of votes.
Some might even say by encouraging the message that capitalism stinks that
this is a disincentive to self-improvement because the wealthy would then
vote away.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".

I just want to stop this simplistic notion GOP/Tory = bad, Labour/Democrat =
Good, more government = good. There are false prophets.

In the UK we live in a surveillance state which is becoming a police state.
On average 300 cameras will catch your image a day. Then there's RIPA giving
anyone in government (even a nosy local council worker) to look at your bank
balance, tap your phone, monitor your movements and go through your bin.
Then there is the national DNA database which even if you are cleared after
an arrest still contains your (and by familiar match your whole family's)
DNA - suspects for life. A national identity card scheme is on the way with
biometric data and it will become routine to challenge for it. Then there
are all the speech codes, banning of demonstrations within 1km of
parliament. Compulsory organ donation (on death still) is on the way. Many
more things. I'm getting ready to leave in a few years.

All this in the name of a stealthily increasing state; the manner being:
PROBLEM, REACTION, SOLUTION. Create a problem, get the public in a frenzy
about it, then draft new powers.

Imagine the inter-corporation cooperation (business to business, government
to business, elite to elite) that all these cross-linked databases and
powers will do to personal freedom.

Yeah, corporations could have a suicide gene in a GM crop that just happens
to fail because you've been mouthing off. The order comes from up high down
the chain.

Was it Gene Hackman in a film I can't remember with this line "You're either
police or little people."

But then you've got your incorruptible representatives of the people. You
send them up to the assembly and they get their noses in the trough PDQ.

On this occasion, Jed, you may want the Democrats in office but keep it
clean, a lie's a lie no matter how much lipstick you put on it.

Just watch the bastards.