leaking pen wrote:
> I seem to recall that it wasnt that a human wouldn't swat it, its that
> a human wouldnt know waht a bee was.

That wasn't the point of the test, at least in the book -- in fact
Deckard may even have explained to her what a bee was when the question
came up; I'm no longer sure.  Her (alleged) father, as I recall, was an
animal-robot manufacturer, in any case, so she could easily have known a
lot more about what animals had existed than most folks.

The same scene existed in the movie but it was played out a little
differently; it had to be, since there was no voiceover, and it was the
narrator in the book who tipped us off as to what was going on with the
test.

Folks generally knew what the insects were -- or had been -- and in fact
there were *robot* bugs running around in the corners of the book. I
recall, in particular, a robot spider living on the stairwell of the
apartment complex.  Humans were more or less familiar with the whole
array of extinct animal life, and people saved their nickels to buy
robot animals to enrich their lives (or gain status or whatever).  The
"electric sheep" in the title were robots, of course.  The protagonist's
landlord, I think it was, had an electric goat at one point, and kept it
on the (flat) roof of the apartment building.

When we see the home of the woman/android, it's a robot manufacturer,
and among other little touches there's a cage containing some apparently
live ... but actually robot ... owls.  (Or maybe they're not robots; one
is always left wondering.)

The electric goat is pushed off the roof by an android, by the way, in
another demonstration of the relative "coldness" of the androids; a
normal human would have been very unlikely to do that, even though the
goat was only a robot.

(And anyway, why should an android, provenance either Mars or an
Earth-side factory, know any better than an Earth-Human what a bee was?)