On Oct 14, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Michel Jullian wrote:

This "theory" seems to be a hoax based on out of context extracts from
real scientific papers. It was debunked here:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2007/06/27/is-the- sun-from-another-galaxy/

Interesting! Thanks for the reference. I didn't know there was a dispute at all. I originally got the reference to the article from:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/

which is fairly reliable. Curious the dispute seems to be centered as much on the cause of global warming as on the underlying astronomy.

Also of interest may be the fact that gravimagnetism, assuming it exists, tends to ensure that the spins of long existing bodies which are subject to tidal effects will necessarily tend to align with and reinforce the local galactic gravimagnetic field.

Note the above debunking is not devoid of flaws either, e.g. it
asserts that the solar system orbits in the galactic plane, whereas it
is well known that it bobs up and down significantly around that ideal
orbit. This bobbing motion is believed  to have caused most mass
extinctions BTW (the galactic plane we cross twice per bobbing period
being very crowded with putative colliders/perturbators).

Michel

Yes, and I believe we now are in the galactic plane, crossing the plane, of the Milky Way at this time.

There seems to be some degree of doubt as to the velocity of the solar system. Here is yet another article which might be controversial:

http://redshift.vif.com/JournalFiles/Pre2001/V03NO2PDF/V03N2MON.PDF

http://tinyurl.com/3ufm69

It gives: "v_o = 359 ± 180 km/s in the direction of right ascension alpha_o = 8.7 ± 3.5h and declination delta_o= –1.1 ± 10.0°". It is a doubtful article because it suggests an absolute velocity can be determined by muon decay anisotropy, i.e. by the cosmic ray muon gammas. Perhaps they just mean absolute relative to some normative source of cosmic rays within the Milky Way. The table at the end of the article seems to me to show a wide range of directions though.

In any case the absolute velocity of the solar system is complicated by the apparently absolute velocity of the Milky Way. See:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CMB-dipole-history.html

http://tinyurl.com/4t3ssp

The following apparently reliable source gives the coordinates for the center of the Milky Way as "Right Ascension 21:12.0, Declination +48:19":

http://seds.org/messier/more/mw.html

http://tinyurl.com/52lqzd

The Milky Way and neighboring galaxies are thought to be moving in the general direction of the Great Attractor: Right Ascension: 243 53 12, Declination: 64 S 55:

http://www.philipsedgwick.com/Galactic/GreatAttractor.htm

http://tinyurl.com/5xauj

It might take some work to sort all this out.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/