Terry Blanton wrote:
> You might be our first poster from Argentina.  Welcome!  Are you
> having a good summer?

Thank you. Yes indeed, we have a beautiful summer here right now.
> Your post prompted me to look to see who has the most gold:
>
> http://www.globalfirepower.com/list_gold_reserves.asp

Interesting. I didn't know that. I'm not sure to what extent the
correlation between a country's gold reserves and the strength of their
currency is a valid one. Even in a monetary system backed by gold.
Monetary policy should prevail to gold availabitity, so to speak. I'm
also not sure about how the gold reserves of a given country can affect
the value and stability of another country's (gold backed) currency.
Food for thought, I'll think/investigate about that.

Take into account that, independently of the fact that a currency is
backed by gold or not, what really makes a currency strong are the
fundamentals of the economy or economies in which that currency
operates. Currencies are means of exchange of goods and services, and do
not (should not) have value by themselves, but by whatever goods and
services can be exchanged by them (including gold). Indeed, this is the
crux of the matter regarding currencies and monies: that actually they
are meant to hold and produce value by themselves(by yielding interest)
instead of being simple means of exchange of goods. Money has lost its
original /reason d'etre/, that was that of a facilitator of exchange of
goods, to actually be a holder(and a producer) of "value".
If you are interested in this very crucial matter, I recommend you to
read the essays of Charles Eisenstein <http://www.ascentofhumanity.com>,
in particular, Money, a new beginning
<http://www.realitysandwich.com/money_a_new_beginning>, where he
discusses a different form of money which does not yield interest(does
not increases over time), but much to the contrary, diminishes its value
over time. A kind of negative interest rate. Which is to say, a kind of
tax on the delay in circulating money; which is called demurrage. This
form of depreciation is related to the very fact that the vast majority
of goods diminishes its value(they rot, decompose, break, deteriorate,
etc.) over time. Money should be no exception. Better said, if money is
the exception to that, things like the actual economic crisis inevitably
happen from time to time(because the amount of money increases
exponentially over time due to interest yields,  and the amount of goods
and services don't. See also, if you like, Money and the Crisis of
Civilization <http://www.realitysandwich.com/money_and_crisis_civilization>)