OrionWorks wrote:
>>From Jed:
>
>> Interesting quote from article:
>>
>>> Back in the 1993 after his retirement; the former head of Lockheed's
>>> "Skunk Works" (producers of the B-2 "Spirit" Stealth Bomber and SR-71
>>> "Blackbird"), Benjamin Rich, said on the record at an U.C.L.A. School of
>>> Engineering Alumni awards dinner (and again three days later at a
>>> presentation given at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base):
>> "We already have the means to traverse the stars but these technologies
>> are locked up in black projects and it would take an act of god to ever
>> get them out to benefit humanity.. Any thing you can imagine we already
>> know how to do."
>>

>> Did Rich really say that?!? The government does not seem good at hiding
>> information, so I kind of doubt they have all this stuff under wraps.
>
> ...and from Steve Lawrence:

>> None of these things are impossible, but they are very, very improbable.
>
> FWIW:
>
> Having attended numerous informal social gatherings of a local UFO
> group held in the Milwaukee area since the 1990s I'd have to say that
> Rich's comments are, not surprisingly, fertile topics of constant
> conjecture. For example, the "true" propulsion of the B-2 has
> occasionally been discussed.
>
> It's become my suspicion that a person could easily spend his entire
> lifetime pursuing the Holy Grail of what "really" drives the B-2
> bomber through the air,

Ummm... I gather there's some reason to believe that "Four General
Electric F118-GE-100 engines", as it says on the fact sheet, are not
actually up to the job?  Of course they're buried in the body of the
plane to cut the heat signature, contributing to the overall weird look
of the plane, but seriously, are you saying that folks (who are
presumably not aerospace engineers) have been able to *prove* that these
engines couldn't possibly be the real power plant?

I've learned some things, too, over the years, starting with this:  It's
easier to raise objections to a (patently correct) claim than it is to
counter them.

It's possible to come up with 10 arguments showing, for example, that
the Apollo missions could not possibly have gone to the Moon in far less
time than it takes to thoroughly debunk any *one* such argument.

"Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction must make sense" -- what
this really means is that figuring out why the truth actually does make
sense can be extremely difficult and time consuming.  In many cases it's
*much* easier to come up with a convenient, and apparently sensible,
fiction, and just *deny* the truth.

We went to the moon 38 years ago, and then the last mission came home
and we never went back.  That doesn't make sense!  If we could do it
then, we *certainly* could do it now!  Lots of people want to go, so if
we could do it, we certainly would!  That's *really* hard to explain!
So, it must all be a lie, and a cover-up of the "real" truth.  It's
*much* easier to make sense of a claim that we never went to the moon at
all, and it was all done in Stanley Kubrick's studio.....

Oh, and one other thing:  Never accept without corroboration an
outlandish claim made by a speaker who received an honorarium for
talking.  Once people start taking money for making their strange
claims, they will *never* realize that their claims are, after all,
false.  (This principle applies to a lot of other things, as well, such
as authors who have published a book (and who are hence making money)
showing strange things denied by the Establishment.  Jack Sarfatti comes
to mind here.)

> or whether something of an extraterrestrial
> nature really did crash in Roswell back in 1947

I like the Roswell story.

As far as I know nobody made a dime off those weird photos.  If it was a
hoax it wasn't done for the money.

> , or whether we humans
> are actually being abducted by extraterrestrial visitors for who knows
> what kinds of various experiments.

Right ... recovered memories are a wonderful arena.  The folks whose
memories were recovered are apparently sincere.  As to the researchers
who, in many cases, helped those memories surface, that's another story
-- and as soon as you get into memories recovered under hypnosis you're
also getting into an area where the prime mover (the hypnotist) is
making money from the operation.

Are you aware of the stories of WWII veterans who apparently remembered
being in battles which never took place, outside of movies?  If not I'll
see if I can dig up more info on it.  There is evidence that human
memory is *extremely* fallible, but we usually exercise a great deal of
conscious or semi-conscious judgment and weed out the bogus stuff before
it causes trouble.  When you get yourself into a situation where you can
no longer easily distinguish bogus from real memories simply by using
context, beware.  (The WWII vets were in exactly such a situation.)

If I wake up remembering an encounter with a six foot tall ant, I
immediately conclude it was a dream.  However, if, when I awake, I have
someone at my shoulder telling me it might really have happened, then I
won't immediately conclude it was a dream, eh?  And what happens next?
Hmmm....