Some follow-up comments

I presume this was from Jed, though I have not received the actual post:

>>> If I wake up remembering an encounter with a six foot tall ant, I
>>> immediately conclude it was a dream.  However, if, when I awake, I have
>>> someone at my shoulder telling me it might really have happened, then I
>>> won't immediately conclude it was a dream, eh?  And what happens next?
>>> Hmmm....

>From Ed Storms:

>> Before getting too carried away by this reasoning, I suggest you read
>> the books by David Jacobs.  Prof. Jacobs is a professor at Temple
>> University who has been interviewing abductees for many years. He was
>> convinced of their claims when many different people from different
>> parts of the US described in detail the various medical instruments used
>> during the examination. These people did not know each other and had no
>> way of getting this information from normal sources. Even now, this
>> detail is not published and is used to test the veracity of the claims.

>From Stephen Lawrence:

> If this information is not published, how can we test the veracity of
> Prof. Jacobs's claims?
>
> How do we know he is honest and sincere (aside from his own testimony,
> of course)?  As the author of books which are, presumably, founded on
> the assumed veracity of the abduction stories, *his* testimony is, of
> course, immediately suspect -- he is making money and acquiring fame as
> a result of these stories!

> Similarly, we must wonder about Professor Jacobs, and we must ask what
> independently verifiable support for his assertions exists.

In my experience the above conjecture as described by Mr. Lawrence
often seems to be a common thread that many skeptics (particularly
debunkers) use to discredit UFO researchers, particularly that they
are not "sincere" and that they are doing it primarily for the money.
BTW, I'm not implying the Mr. Lawrence is, himself a debunker! ;-) I
just want to be clear on the point that I doubt few UFO researchers
have made any tangible money off of their UFO/alien abduction research
and related publications. Far from it. To publish a book on "alien
abduction" is pretty much the professional kiss of death. (Jee! Does
this sound familiar???) One is in eminent danger of having mainstream
science never taking any their professional work seriously ever again.

...and now, on to...

>> Dr. John Mack, at Harvard Medical School, has found the same
>> relationship between a claimed abduction and a common memory of the
>> tools and procedures.

> Has Dr. Mack published the details of what it was he found the common
> thread to be?

There was an academic publication that was published in the early 90s
for which John Mack was one of the principal authors. It's a HUGE
white book, white cover with plain back text title: "Alien Abduction"
or something like that. It's close to a thousand pages in length. It
was NOT a "best seller". It's one of those books that you buy and then
put in your library shelf to collect dust... Plenty of details to get
lost in. The compilation contains numerous testimony from
experiencers. I bought a copy. Cost a good penny, too. Not sure if it
contains the specific markers that are alluded to in Dr. Jacob's work
however. Unfortunately, we can't ask Dr. Mack since he has since
transcended to the next dimension due to an unfortunate encounter with
a car while stepping off a curb in London. The driver was drunk, and
Mack was killed. No conspiracy here. Just tragic unfortunately
circumstances.

> Again, as I said to start with, it's not the abductees who are the
> "suspicious characters" in memories of abductions -- it's the
> interviewer.  In this case, that's Dr. Mack.

I do sympathize with those who question the veracity of collecting
recovered memories. Indeed, there is much controversy over how
effective such a "tool" is.

Finally, as for grok's most recent contributions, predictably he felt
compelled to say something that he felt was presumably witty about
this extremely contorted subject. I wish grok would post something
useful or informative. Continuing to post judgmental opinions
pertaining to the weaknesses and fallacies of others and their
perceptions as an attempt to show how superior his personal intellect
must be, is turning out to be nothing ore than an exercise in mental
masturbation. Grok, please do it behind closed doors where we don't
have to continue observing the activity. Like Mr. Lawrence, I too, am
seriously considering the kill file for the remainder of your
life-span within Vortex. I realize I risk "fanning the flames" here,
but I guess it's the risk I'll have to take.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks