Terry Blanton wrote:

But the need was not as great as it is now.  We have always said, on
this list, that $5/gal oil would make a difference.  IMO, it has.

In that sense it is unfortunate that the price is back to $2.

The Obama administration may be the best thing that has happened to energy policy in the last 40 years. We'll see. He may not follow through. Congress may derail him. He should tax gasoline to keep the price above $3 to $4 per gallon, but I doubt he has the guts or the support in Congress to do that.

It is possible that Obama or someone in the administration will watch "60 Minutes" and start asking questions, or even take action. It will not take much to help the researchers. A few million -- heck, a few hundred thousand -- would be manna from heaven. I wrote to the administration, and so did many other people, but the voice of CBS is probably 5 to 6 orders of magnitude louder than mine. That's the trouble with mass media in a high population nation. If this were Iceland I could probably get a message through to someone in government.