From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 1:38 PM
To: vortex-L@eskimo.com
Subject: [Vo]:It will be ironic if "60 Minutes" has a major effect

If "60 Minutes" has a major effect on public opinion, and helps free up funding
for the field, that
will not surprise me. But it will be ironic. It will demonstrate that
scientists and decision makers
in government tend to be more influenced by the mass media than by scientific
publications.

The tide does seem to be turning. Press coverage is more friendly than it used
to be. More facts and
fewer rumors are reported. But funding is still dreadfully restricted and I
still fear that the
researchers will not live long enough to make significant progress.

Based on previous press reports favorable toward cold fusion, such as a report
of the Arata
experiment last year, I predict this event it will increase Internet chatter
and traffic to
LENR-CANR for a few weeks, and then fade away. But the effect may linger long
enough to jog a few
decision-makers to allocate a few more dollars, or perhaps a few million more!
And that is all we
need.

We require an end to the beginning, if not the beginning of the end.
We do not need Nature and Scientific American to wave a white flag and admit
they were wrong. I
predict that the present editors and writers at these journals will never do
that, unless commercial
products are rolled out, which I regard as highly unlikely under the present
circumstances. But I
could be wrong about them. I never imaged that Robert Park would give an inch.
Of course he needs to
give a mile, which he will never do.

The other day I told Mizuno that Maddox died, and I related the famous quote
about "cold fusion will
remain dead for a long time"
which is surely an enigmatic thing to say. Did he mean that he hoped it would
revive only after he
was gone? Mizuno responded: "perhaps I should be angry at the man but honestly
I pity him. Here was
the most important and interesting discovery in his lifetime and he never even
looked at it. What a
wasted opportunity." That is how I feel about the whole history of cold fusion.
So much talent
wasted; so many years. So many energy problems could have been solved by now,
and so many lives
saved, if only scientists had done their job.

I do not blame the mass media for this sad history. I blame scientists and
scientific administrators
at places like the DOE and the APS. The ones who never looked at the
experiments. They never did
their jobs. Huizenga and the DoE review panels. Of course there is plenty of
blame to go around.
Even the cold fusion researchers share a small tiny fraction of the blame for
this fiasco, but they
are more sinned against than sinning.

Checked by AVG.
7:08 AM