I should add that Martin Fleischmann also thinks highly of Mengoli. He considers him one of the world's top electrochemists. Mengoli retired several years ago.

At issue has arisen in the discussion of this paper and in my earlier message "Rough comparison of cold fusion Pd to UO2." The question is: to what part of the cell should you normalize the energy? The cathode? Or all of the parts on inside the calorimeter walls? Or, at the other extreme, do you only count the deuterium that is consumed, which can only be estimated by measuring the helium produced?

As Stephen A. Lawrence pointed out, "the palladium isn't the fuel, it's just a catalyst." That is true. Or at least, we hope that is true.

Good arguments can be made for various way of normalization, and the answer comes out very different if you include lots of cell materials. As a guide to scientific theory, obviously the only thing you want to account for is the deuterium, since that appears to be the only thing which is actually consumed. But looking at it as an engineering problem, it seems to me you should account for the palladium because that is what actually gets hot and will probably need to be replaced sooner than any other component. It is probably the limiting factor for performance. Cathode materials are the main focus of research.

Mengoli and most others go with normalizing against the cathode. He uses that comparison in the caption and discussion for experiment 3, which I quoted yesterday.

Actually, with 1.4 MJ of output from a gadget the size of the Mengoli's cell, it doesn't matter what you normalize against! It has to be nuclear reaction. But they and most other authors focus on normalizing against the cathode. I go with the cathode as well, or perhaps the cathode plus the deuterium present in the cell. I mean the deuterium only: the D2 gas in a gas loaded cell, and with D2O, the deuterium only and not the oxygen. As I see it, the oxygen in the heavy water, the anode, the wires going to the electrodes, and the other cell components resemble the components of a fission reactor core that do not participate directly in the reaction, such as the zirconium cladding on the fuel rods, and the moderator rods. You have to have them, but only the uranium in the UO2 gets hot. It is the site of the reaction, just as the cathode is the site of the cold fusion fusion reaction.

You might count the oxygen in the UO2 as a passive component, but I think that stretches it. What I am thinking is that as a practical matter -- or an engineering matter -- with a fission reactor you have to remove and dispose of the "spent fuel" UO2, as one thing. (Dispose of it, or recycle it.) The oxygen doesn't actually participate in the nuclear reaction, but it is inseparable from the uranium, whereas the other reactor components can be replaced on a different schedule. Along the same lines, with a cold fusion cell you will have to remove and recycle the Pd cathode and remove the tritium and helium. The Pd is somewhat analogous to the oxygen in UO2: it is an inseparable part of the fuel that undergoes a nuclear reaction.

The palladium is also a useful comparison because it is highly loaded and the number of deuterium atoms that are available to participate in the reaction at any given moment is roughly equivalent to the number of palladium atoms, or perhaps 70% of that number, because the cathode will be unevenly loaded. The deuterons swap in and out: new ones continually migrate in other ones go out, but the total available fuel at any moment is comparable to the number of palladium atoms. I mean it is not a million times less or 10 times more than that, although obviously, the number of deuterons that actually undergo fusion in one day is many orders of magnitude fewer than those available. Roughly 10,000 fewer, as Mengoli shows in his discussion of heat after death, which is interesting.

After electrolysis stops, and heat after death begins, the number of deuterons available to undergo the reaction then becomes roughly equal to the number of palladium atoms, so normalizing against this number becomes more valid, or scientifically meaningful, you might say. Mengoli et al. address this issue in section 4.4 "After-effect" (which is what they call heat after death):

"4.4. After-effect

Power output in the absence of any power input is the most remarkable instance of anomalous heat generation obtained in this work. This 'after-effect' may be explained by the comments made above for current: in o.c. [open circuit, zero input power] conditions, 'confinement' by the current vanishes and the 'activated' Beta-deuteride phase finds itself in strong thermodynamic disequilibrium . . .

A second question concerns the nature of the process sustaining the power output in o.c. conditions for such long a time. Considering, for instance, the data of Table 3 (exp. 3), there is clearly no reasonable chemical explanation. However, if heat is generated by D + D ---> 4He+24 MeV fusion, steady power output of 1 W involves the consumption of ~ 4.5 × 10E16 atoms [per day]; but the sample used in exp. 3, loaded to D/Pd = 0.8, as expected originally, contained ~5.7 x 10E24 atoms, which means that heat output could indeed go on for a long time."