Hi Jed,
[snip]
>I should add that Martin Fleischmann also thinks
>highly of Mengoli. He considers him one of the
>world's top electrochemists. Mengoli retired several years ago.
>
>At issue has arisen in the discussion of this
>paper and in my earlier message "Rough comparison
>of cold fusion Pd to UO2." The question is: to
>what part of the cell should you normalize the
>energy? The cathode? Or all of the parts on
>inside the calorimeter walls? Or, at the other
>extreme, do you only count the deuterium that is
>consumed, which can only be estimated by measuring the helium produced?
[snip]
The big difference is that CF produces little or no dangerous radiation, while
fission reactors produce so much that they need huge containment buildings.
If you want a fair comparison, then you probably need to include the mass of the
fission containment as well.
This makes a tremendous difference. It means that fission reactors must by their
very nature provide centralized power, whereas CF will lend itself to
distributed power production. That changes the whole equation, and with it the
very basis of most of society.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html