Thanks for the info Robin... I forgot about slow light; and I think there was
an article in the last
6 months about a group of researchers actually stopping light.  That's a little
too "beam me up" for
my taste.  But my original posting was this:
   "Has anyone heard of a 'photonic battery'... i.e., a way to store and
controllably release
photons?"

The key phrase being "controllably release"...

Then I read your second post about phosphorescence and wiki'd it, and it seems
there are some
substances that release their 'trapped' photon energy in minutes to hours...
That's not bad, but
nowhere did it indicate that this release was controllable.  It was controlled
by the "throw the
dice" quantum mechanical probabilities bullpucky...

And John Berry's suggestion of using a black hole, although thought provoking,
isn't really
practical.  Not too many black holes close by, thank <religious topic ban in
effect; insert favorite
deity here>.

-Mark