The garage researcher can get into the act anytime. In fact, most of us at the margins of the professional community, as you say, were garage men initially. My only point was that garage men will not contribute much to an understanding of the process. Later, when engineering improvements need to be made, the garage might be a useful laboratory.

Ed

On Jun 19, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Harry Veeder wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:16 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Fringe

To avoid making yourself ill with worry, let me add a bit of
optimism.  Cold fusion has left the garage level of research and
entered the level of a well funded laboratory. This is progress.
The
theory has left the amateur level of ideas and entered the level of

the trained professional. This is also progress.  This is similar
the development of all technologies. You would not consider
developing
a commercial airliner in your basement or be able to contribute to
an
understanding or aeronautical engineering would you?

All the *progress* to date has occured at the professional level, even if it
has been conducted at the margins of the professional community.
I am waiting for progress to emerge at the "garage level of research".

Harry