On Aug 20, 2009, at 8:41 PM, Harry Veeder wrote:

By "self-rotation" of the balls do you where the balls produce their own
*rolling* motion?

Self rotation here means rotation without externally imposed EM forces, i.e. self imposed torque, and thus without externally applied EM forces. It is action without reaction. Just to be very clear, I'm saying this does not happen, at least not nearly enough to account for the motor's torque.

If so such rolling motion may not be necessary. If they somehow become
stuck to either the inner or outer racer the balls would still rotate
once about the x axis with each full rotation of the racer.

The balls have to make contact with both races to conduct. If any balls did not move by rolling I think it would be immediately noticeable. If you hold the bearings in your hand and spin them they rotate for seconds.

Of course I am assuming there is enough play between the ball and racers to allow for such rotation. It also requires that the mystery acceleration
be expressed by each ball wherever they happen to be in bearing so you
wouldn't observe any funny motion of the suspended motor.

harry

The two self rotation theories require fast ball rotation in order to work. More importantly, if such self rotation were occurring at all, the angular momentum would be transferred to the base by friction, which doesn't happen.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/