I think they gave the reviewers all those papers because years ago I was in someone's office, and I noticed a cardboard box full of papers with familiar titles. I asked "what's all this?" and the person said "that's what we gave the reviewers. Those are all the references in Peter's paper."

It was clear from the reviews that some of panel members read the material and understand cold fusion, and others did not. I do not think Hagelstein's paper was difficult to grasp, and these were distinguished professional scientists, so they darn well should have done their homework and figured out the helium versus heat part. But as Lomax pointed out, they got that wrong. That's sloppy. But even the best scientists sometimes make mistakes and jump to unwarranted conclusions. See the endorsement blurbs on the back of Taubes' book by Lederman, Richter, Schwartz, Seaborg and Rowland. Four Nobel laureates and the director of the AAAS! All of them full of bunk. Yeah, they should have known better, but they didn't. I expect it was an honest mistake. I know it was a sloppy one.

I'll bet if you contacted those people today (the ones still alive), you would find they have not learned a thing about cold fusion and they would not change a word of their endorsements.