Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

I'll bet if you contacted those people today (the ones still alive), you would find they have not learned a thing about cold fusion and they would not change a word of their endorsements.

Unless you could approach them in a way likely to generate rapport, and discuss the issues in detail, perhaps following the approach of someone you love to hate, Hoffmann. It's not impossible, but, yes, it can be very difficult.

Difficult or easy, why would I bother? I don't care what these nudniks think. They sure don't care what I think!

As Mike McKubre says, "I wouldn't cross the street to hear a lecture by Frank Close."

I have nothing in common with the extreme skeptics and the Avowed Enemies of Cold Fusion. No meeting of the minds is possible between us. I never communicate with them unless there is an audience and I wish to score points. Discussing the issues with them is a futile waste of time.

Needless to say, they think the same thing about me, as they have often said. Here is one that said that about me yesterday:

http://evildrpain.blogspot.com/2009/09/freedom.html

Here is the "heated discussion" linked to in the blog:

http://missatomicbomb.blogspot.com/2008/06/gullible-part-2.html

This person thinks that he won the debate, and that:

"This debate, of course, turned out to be an utterly pointless exercise, as the advocate descended predictably into nonsensical argument, and what amounted to name calling, in order to defend his position."

From my point of view, I made mincemeat out of him, and I never engaged in any name calling. I believe this is cognitive dissonance on his part. Mainly it was a discussion of matters of fact, not even technical matters. For example, he claimed that no nuclear scientists have worked on cold fusion, so I gave him a long list of distinguished nuclear scientists who have. He claimed that no replications have been done, so I gave him a list of replications. And so on.

By the way, I would never claim that I won the debate by virtue of superior intellect or legerdemain. Any fool who bothers to read the literature can easily win this sort of debate.

I am in the same position as someone in 1906 debating whether airplanes could exist. All you have to do is point out that those Wright brothers have done public demonstrations, flying for up to 40 minutes, as attested in affidavits by leading citizens of Dayton, OH. And they have a patent, and they have published scientific papers in leading journals of engineering, and there are photos, etc., etc. The skeptic may make an absurd technical objection: "Even if someone did fly, they could never land, because they would be moving so rapidly through the air." (A famous scientist in 1903 actually said this.) Anyone with rudimentary knowledge of flight would respond: "Birds solve this problem by stalling at the last moment, and falling on their feet. A human pilot can do the same thing, to fall on landing gear." Which is exactly the case, and which the Wrights and others knew perfectly well, and had been doing for many years. This is analogous to me saying to the cold fusion skeptic: "Many different calorimeter types have been used, so this cannot be a systematic error caused by one calorimeter type." It is one of the first things you lean when you study the subject, and it is easy to understand.

(Many things about cold fusion -- and aviation for that matter -- are difficult to understand, but the skeptics of 1906 and 2009 fail to grasp even the ABCs.)