Hi,
[snip]
>> The "'positive' in between" is what makes the equations work out. I
>> think you
>> are having a problem because you expect the net EMF to integrate to
>> zero (begin
>> point = end point), which it would do if you take the "step" into
>> account. Note
>> that the EMF does not change monotonically around the complete
>> loop. It does
>> along the wire (assuming a constant resistance/length ratio),
>> however there is
>> at least one step when you hit the electrodes. (In the case of a
>> battery perhaps
>> more accurately one step at each electrode).
>> Regards,
>>
>> Robin van Spaandonk
>>
>> http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html
>>

>Explaining the steady current in terms of EMFs does not lead to a
>contradiction
>so this is not where my problem lies. However, if the steady current is
>rigorously explained in terms of electric fields a contradiction seems
>to arise.

How is EMF different from "electric field"? IOW why do not have a problem with
the former, but you do with the latter?

>The steady current requires that the electric field lines
>around the loop (i.e. from '-' to '-') form a closed path, otherwise the
>current would be  fleeting instead of steady.
>On the other hand this
>contradicts the rule that electric fields cannot form a closed loop when
>the B field is not varying as is the case with a *steady* current.

...but individual field lines don't form a closed loop. They end on positive and
negative charges in between. That's what the discontinuity is all about that I
mentioned in my previous post. It's where the voltage step happens.

This is most clearly seen where the separator is a capacitor, and no current
flows through the dielectric of the capacitor. All you really have is a "bent"
wire connection with two ends. Current flows from one end to the other.

This is also true in a battery, but the break isn't as obvious as it's at the
atomic level, where electrons and ions separate. Actually there are more like
two breaks in a battery, one at each electrode, resulting in two currents, an
external electron current, and an internal ion current.