Hi,
>Ok, I guess it is necessary to distinguish between a capacitor, a
>battery and an EMF.  Both a battery and a capacitor can produce a
>current for a _limited_ period of time, whereas an EMF can produce a
>current for an _unlimited_ period of time.

There ain't no sich animal. Nothing runs forever. The universe is a big battery,
and it's running down. You can only maintain an EMF at a "constant" level, when
current is flowing in a resistive circuit, by supplying energy. IOW you have to
"pump" the electrons from the low voltage side back to the high voltage side.
This is usually done with a changing magnetic field (i.e. a generator or
dynamo), which once again introduces a step in the voltage going around the
circuit. You can picture the voltage at each point as single rotation of a helix
with a vertical axis with the begin and end points joined by a straight vertical
line. That vertical line is where the energy is added. Energy is lost to
resistance as the current runs around the helix.

>With that in mind, let me refine the question. Can a current which runs
>indefinitely (and does not occur in a superconductor) be explained
>consistently only with the concept of an electric field?
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html