----- Original Message -----
From: mix...@bigpond.com
Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:40 pm
Subject: Re: correction /Re: [Vo]:The Electric Field Outside a
Stationary Resistive Wire Carrying a Constant Current

> 0400:Hi,
> [snip]
> >> The "'positive' in between" is what makes the equations work
> out. I
> >> think you
> >> are having a problem because you expect the net EMF to integrate
> >> zero (begin
> >> point = end point), which it would do if you take the "step"
> into
> >> account. Note
> >> that the EMF does not change monotonically around the complete
> >> loop. It does
> >> along the wire (assuming a constant resistance/length ratio),
> >> however there is
> >> at least one step when you hit the electrodes. (In the case of a
> >> battery perhaps
> >> more accurately one step at each electrode).
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Robin van Spaandonk
> >>
> >> http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html
> >>

> >Explaining the steady current in terms of EMFs does not lead to a
> >contradiction
> >so this is not where my problem lies. However, if the steady
> current is
> >rigorously explained in terms of electric fields a contradiction
> seems>to arise.
>
> How is EMF different from "electric field"? IOW why do not have a
> problem with
> the former, but you do with the latter?

An ElectroMotive Force is a concrete arrangement of matter that comes
into being either by happenstance or by design and is capable of pushing
charges around. A 9 volt battery or a gas powered electrical generator
or a thunderstorm are examples of EMFs.  Even if we assume electric
fields are real -- in the sense of being more than just abstract
mathematical tools for making calculations and predictions -- they owe
their reality to a concrete arrangement of matter. In addition to this
ontological difference, there is also a logical difference which is born
out when you try to explain the current ONLY in terms of electric fields.

> >The steady current requires that the electric field lines
> >around the loop (i.e. from '-' to '-') form a closed path,
> otherwise the
> >current would be  fleeting instead of steady.
> >On the other hand this
> >contradicts the rule that electric fields cannot form a closed
> loop when
> >the B field is not varying as is the case with a *steady* current.
>
> ...but individual field lines don't form a closed loop. They end on
> positive and
> negative charges in between. That's what the discontinuity is all
> about that I
> mentioned in my previous post. It's where the voltage step happens.
>
> This is most clearly seen where the separator is a capacitor, and
> no current
> flows through the dielectric of the capacitor. All you really have
> is a "bent"
> wire connection with two ends. Current flows from one end to the
> other.
> This is also true in a battery, but the break isn't as obvious as
> it's at the
> atomic level, where electrons and ions separate. Actually there are
> more like
> two breaks in a battery, one at each electrode, resulting in two
> currents, an
> external electron current, and an internal ion current.
>
> Regards,

The electrons must be recirculated in order to maintain a steady
current. If an electric field is the same as an EMF, then the electric
field must form a closed loop, otherwise electrons would pile up at the
'+'electrode where the electric field ends in your depiction. Of course
a closed electric field loop is not allowed in theory, so the concept of
an electric field cannot
be used in a logically consistent manner to *fully* explain the current.
Therefore an electric field IS NOT the same as an EMF.

Harry