At 04:32 PM 10/2/2009, OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson wrote:
[quoting Jed Rothwell]
> If you have not dealt with a skeptic lately, here is a reminder of what they
> are like:
>
> http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=1940

I'm trying to figure out why the original author mentioned cold fusion. The connection with his topic was totally unclear. He says nothing about cold fusion that shows anything more than the scantiest knowledge of the science, either from a skeptical or a supportive point of view. His topic is medicine. Reading some of his other material, the guy is quite a bit less than impressive as a writer.

What was called for there was a simple pointer to a good recent review of the field, pretty much like your original post (except you didn't point to a single review, but to your entire collection. Who is going to read that collectimay be another story.

Nobody there was discussing cold fusion until you showed up. However, your post attracted <http://daedalus2u.blogspot.com/>daedalus2u . If you follow the link, the writer doesn't seem to be the soul of balanced sobriety. The guy is smart enough to read papers you cite and figure out hypothetical problems with them, which he then confidently asserts as the probably explanation. I've seen enough of these bloggers to know that they are unaware of the depth of the literature, they *assume* that it is all shallow, shoddy work. The fact is that with any report, one can make up ("hypothesize") possible causes of artifact that were not addressed in the report. For him to respond to a solid review of the field, though, he'd have to do a lot more work.

Tritium is not a major product of LENR. Helium is. Tritium is nice because it's easier to measure, but helium, because of the solid correlation with excess heat, validates the heat measurements. And, of course, the heat measurements validate the helium; any artifact would have to somehow cause the measured excess heat to track the measured helium. The skeptic's criticism of the tritium measurement *in that one paper* is interesting, if true (I certainly haven't verified what he asserts about potassium), but ...

You encountered, there, many stock arguments and a few more cogent arguments, but none of them solidly based. These discussions, when they go on beyond a point, don't convince anyone of anything, I'd say, having done a fair amount of this in other fields. It would be useful to have a well-writtenFAQ that addresses all the standard criticisms about cold fusion, cite it, and leave, or only answer *new* criticisms -- and then arrange that they be added to the FAQ, congratulating the author on their original thinking!

Why don't we do that, Jed? I'd love to help. I'm going to go to that discussion and pick out the themes, and bring them back here. Instead of writing that stuff over and over, how about putting together a document that represents the best thinking on the topic, coherently expressed. You're an excellent writer, but you are, to some extent, wasting your time repeating the same things over and over in various venues. It's enough if, in these places where cold fusion is mentioned, you, or someone, points to the real information; let the skeptics rant and rave all they want, and they will, for quite some time. They are like frogs in the pot being brought to a boil, croaking and complaining, but not jumping out of the trap they are in.

They pretend to be interested in science, but when they say "call us when you have a car that runs by cold fusion," we can know that they don't care at all about science, for that is not a scientific position at all; cold fusion could be real and totally impractical for running a car.

The world is full of ignorant people; indeed, all of us are ignorant of much. It's enough to, when the opportunity presents, convey the message clearly, but more than that is not only not necessary, it actually hardens opposition, for few like to be exposed as ignorant. Within a year, Jed, I'd like you to be able to say, for $x, you can buy a kit to replicate a cold fusion experiment and detect nuclear radiation, it's been demonstrated by N people (and, in a bit more time, published here and there) and you'd be more than welcome to show how it's fake. Please, try, or point to someone who has.

And, frankly, I don't care what they might say in response. It doesn't matter what they say. It matters what the people who *do* try say, especially if many of them are young.

> Scroll down to the bottom and you will see that this person absolutely
> rejects any paper not published in a U.S. peer-reviewed journal. He will not
> even glance at a paper in a Japanese, Italian or Indian journal. He rejects
> anything published in an electrochemical journal:
>
> "If you don't get the fact that it's meaningless and irrelevant unless it's
> in a reputable peer-reviewed journal, then you're quite hopeless."
>
> He does not consider JJAP or Fusion Technology "reputable."
>
> Note also that he asks repeatedly for proof and papers, and then refuses to
> look at them. This is classic full blown "skeptical" behavior
>
> - Jed

Sure. So? Are we running a Find-The-Skeptic game? Look, we already know that there are hosts of these pseudo-skeptics. There are also some real skeptics out there, I'm much more interested in them, and in engaging them in conversation.

So Steven continued:

I disagree on one crucial point. Skeptics are not bad. We need
skeptics. I would also say that you are, in fact, a healthy skeptc
since you aren't willing to accept the conclusions of any experiment
unless they have been independently replicated. This individual, on
the other hand, is not a skeptic even though I would bet he often
self-congratulates himself and truly believes he is pursuing a
skeptical line of inquiry.

That's correct, I'd say. There is more than one individual there, though. Nevertheless, every single one of them was both ignorant and presumed that he (or she, perhaps) was knowledgeable enough to contradict an expert with utter confidence and no humility. As you know, they made statement after statement that was unsupportable, once one knows the literature. In a blog-discussion environment, where there is no decision-making process, only debate with no specified purpose or goal, there is no way to lead these horses to water, all you could hope for is that some independent readers will notice. I'd say that this same purpose can be accomplished with a very brief post pointing to a solid document that is designed to lead the reader from the normal position of skepticism to something more open-minded, to a recognition that those working in this field aren't entirely dim, that there is some basis for, at least, suspicion that LENR is real. That's where one-third of the experts were in the 2004 DoE review, and a more careful process would have taken more to that suspicion. And, as well, more to conviction that, yes, this is LENR. It takes a certain critical mass of knowledge to come to that position, that knowledge normally isn't absorbed in a day or in a blog conversation.

If you try to force a horse to drink, the horse, quite properly, won't trust you. No matter how much you tell the horse that the water is fine, just taste it! People have natural -- and necessary -- defenses against polemic that shows any sign of being compulsive or obsessive; that blog was about medicine, and they will immediately wonder why you started talking about cold fusion there. Simply because the author mentioned cold fusion? He was apparently trying to make some point about silly research having to do with H1N1 vaccinations, and cold fusion was entirely peripheral; so your post would immediately appear as that of someone on a mission to "defend" cold fusion. Right?

Let me just say that the very fact of being on such a mission will arouse suspicion. It's very tricky to pull off.

I will try to spend some time analyzing that blog discussion and others you have engaged in. I'm not terribly interested in the very specific and unusual claims about artifact there, though I suppose they should be listed in the more detailed parts of a FAQ, possibly on linked pages. Where there are people, skeptics, willing to engage in real discussion aimed at finding either consensus or, at least, a clear delineation and description of differences, it's possible to find much more agreement than we usually imagine. The pseudo-skeptics will avoid such a process; that's what happened on Wikipedia. I was being successful at facilitating consensus on the issues I was bringing up, but that process takes a great deal of discussion, and the "cabal" was able to frame that as "tendentious argument," and, because there were twenty or thirty of them, and only a handful of people arguing for the positions I was asserting, they were able to sway the arbitrators who were too lazy to read the evidence. Numbers count. So, if you *do* want to continue blog advocacy for cold fusion, get some help, don't do it alone. If there are some other cool heads making supportive comments, it can make a big difference. There is also the good-cop, bad-cop routine, one person can simply assert the truth (as you mostly do) while the other skewers the opposition, pointing out the complete idiocy of their positions. You can then calm down the "bad cop," defending the skepticism as understandable, which it certainly is (hey, stupidity is understandable!), which puts them off their feed; after all, you are supposedly the fanatic. If you are advocating cold fusion, you must be a fanatic, right?

I just told my wife that I've finally invested in the cold fusion project (we are getting divorced and it's not really her business any more, but we have a long-term relationship, for sure, because of the kids), and she was worried that I was getting myself involved with a bunch of fanatics. "Isn't that considered rejected?" Yes, it is. But, don't worry, I told her. I'm not investing in any kooky schemes, I'm only investing in what I know, with near-certainty, will work. Science, not energy generation!

Jed, if this kit idea works, and I'm quite confident that it will (with some possibility that the first kits won't work, but unless the whole SPAWAR publication series is nothing but artifact, and the Galileo project a big, reproduced mistake, that problem will only be temporary and it will be fixed. And we won't be selling kits until they work reliably. And then it will be very possible to assert to those skeptics that, yes, it is easy to reproduce a low energy nuclear reaction experiment, and it can even be done -- and has been done -- for a high school science fair project.... Your argument that it's extremely difficult was certainly true, for years, and it probably remains true for the vast majority of cold fusion techniques, but not all. Co-deposition was known to work, early on, but everyone was focused on getting more energy out, and codep is probably not practical for energy generation, it's only good for the science of it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is some way to cycle a codep cell to repeatedly generate heat, and to make it enough heat to be useful. That's not my project though, at least not initially!