At 03:44 PM 10/13/2009, Steven Krivit wrote:
Dear Vortex,

Jed Rothwell and Abd ul-Rahman_Lomax have expressed themselves with a great deal of rage and outrage that I reported that Martin is suffering from Parkinson's disease and diabetes.

No. And if you think that's what happened, Steve, and I don't for a moment believe that you would be dishonest, get some neutral advice. Rothwell knows Fleischmann and may have personal feelings involved, but "rage and outrage" doesn't capture my feelings. It's more like embarrassment.

Despite their mudslinging and pontification (a popular word here in Italy), the fact is that Martin's health challenges are far from private. I learned about Martin's health issues from the CBS 60 Minutes program earlier this year - as did the rest of the world.

Yes. Beside the point. Rothwell spoke about privacy, my concern was somewhat different. Indeed, Fleischmann is a public figure. What you wrote about, Steve, was not merely what is known about the good doctor's health, but about interaction with his family, with overtones that were far from neutral.

I quote: "Martin Fleischmann, the man who announced cold fusion to the world, is hindered by years, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and maybe a little bitterness. At home, he pulled out an improved version of his experiment, something that he was working on when he was hounded out of science."

I don't recall any such outrage from Jed Rothwell and Abd ul-Rahman_Lomax at that time.

Because there was nothing particularly outrageous about it. My recommendation: Steve, let it rest. If someone speaks about it, unless you can say something that will actually make the situation better -- and you might be able to, if you can get some perspective -- remain silent. Don't defend yourself, not by argument. It almost always backfires.

Pontification. Okay, I'll buy it. I kind of like the sound. How much?