At 05:58 PM 10/13/2009, Chris Zell wrote:
Personally, I wonder if the scientific community is nearly incapable of progress because it's dominated by undiagnosed Aspergers and related syndromes. Instead of being fascinated by shiny objects, they obsess about assorted technicalities and tend to be puzzled by common social demands. Hint, Hint.

I score high on the appraisal test, so mea culpa, comrades.

I don't think I have Asperger's, but I know at least one brilliant mathematician who does. However, I'm sure I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and it is, indeed, a disorder, and difficulty with "common social demands" can be a big part of it, indeed, that's part of why it's a "disorder" and not merely a "difference." Some of the damage from these conditions can be averted if the person and those in relationship with him or her are aware of it, and know how to move around it and factor for it.

And, of course, there can also be benefits from the conditions, that's one of the complications. I wouldn't trade my ADHD for "normal" for anything. But it can also be a damn nuisance! Lost a big contract once because I was concentrating on some work; when I do that, everything else disappears. I looked up, saw the clock, and I was late for the appointment. Got there and was told that, too late, you were late so we don't want you to do any more work from us. It was stupid for that company, my work was excellent, and saved them a lot of money, and it was only a new Controller (apt title!) who had just come out of the military and who was imposing his standards. My ability to be on-time with him had nothing to do with my ability to perform the work on-time, because, in that business, when I had a job, I'd start it immediately and not stop until it was done. Time would largely disappear. And, of course, if I had an appointment during that time -- I was working for another customer -- it was indeed possible I'd miss it if there wasn't some kind of reminder. I've learned, now, to set alarms on my iPhone.

Classic problem, there is a story about it in Driven to Distraction, Hallowell's excellent book about ADHD. Employee comes up with idea to save his company millions of dollars a year. Tells his boss, who sets up a meeting in a month and asks the employee to prepare a report. Employee sits down, tries to write the report, but something distracts him. Sits down again, same thing. Finally, the day before the meeting, the employee sits down and this time pushes through all distractions, and finishes the report by 6:00 A.M. Then falls asleep and wakes up and it's late, rushes to work and hands the report to his boss, who says, "Thanks. You're fired." The company did implement the suggestion and did save millions of dollars a year. The employee ended up okay, though. He started his own consulting business and was fine.

If the company had understood the employee's condition, they'd have done two things: first, not set up a condition where someone with ADHD is likely to fail, i.e., a deadline in a month for something that takes a day's work to do. Smaller chunks might be needed (and it's more complicated than that). If the boss had said, "Get me a preliminary report on that, at least an outline, by tomorrow," it would have been on his desk the next day, or maybe the employee would have slept through that day, and it would have been there the day after that, no harm! Second, they'd assign him a secretary, someone to keep him on track, and he'd be worth it.