At 07:19 AM 10/27/2009, Michel Jullian wrote:
What they demonstrate, IMHO, is that the SPAWAR pits occur:

1/ when the deposit is dendritic, not when it is spongy, and

2/ when the CR-39 chip is in direct contact with the cathode wire, not
when a 6 micron mylar is interposed

Result 2/ does NOT prove conclusively IMHO that any alpha particles
produced are less energetic than the ~1MeV needed to go through 6µm of
mylar as they suggest, another possibility that occurs to me is that
the material in direct contact with the cathode wire matters, i.e.
that CR-39 induces a nuclear effect and mylar doesn't. Has this
possibility been considered?

While that seems possible, there is a simpler explanation of the Earthtech results. Perhaps because I overlooked these result in my reading, I think I may have noticed the page early on but didn't have enough background to understand the issues, but I did read that today, don't quite know why I missed Horace's mention of it before, but sometimes I don't have time to follow up on something.... and then it joins the rest of the mountain of stuff that I'd like to do but probably never will. Unless someone brings it up again.

Please, folks, if it seems like I should read something so that I stop sticking my foot so clearly into my mouth, let me know! If I've answered with an answer that shows I read it with some reasonable level of understanding, fine. However, it never hurts to have some redundant communication, I will never blame someone for patiently trying to get something through my thick skull. Even if they are wrong, in my opinion. A for effort!

Now, as to the simpler explanation. They did not follow the protocol exactly, or if they did, it's a different protocol, which is a bit irritating, for sure, if that's true. The Galileo project was semi-confidential, the protocol originally was not revealed openly, one had to sign a release in case the thing took out the family home or you ended up with hot NaOH in your face, a distinctly unpleasant possibility. No, I don't have a chem-shower, as they recommend, at home, but, strangely enough, there is one in the warehouse for my wife's business that I've taken over, it used to be a microbiology lab. But that's ten minutes drive from my home, and I'll be spending very little time over a hot stove etching chips, I believe, so I can take lesser measures.

For whatever reason, they didn't get the nuclear effect, at all. Instead, they got a strong chemical damage effect on the chips. The pits that they report as "SPAWAR pits" aren't. They are chemical damage plus background radiation -- these were 4-year-old chips.

I don't blame them. Early available SPAWAR results showed hamburger and rather breathlessly considered it radiation damage. Maybe it was, by the way, there are still some differences visible. Obviously, though, chemical damage must be considered, from their results. These may actually be nice control experiments, it would be great if the critical variable were identified.

Here is another clue: they reported no results with mylar covering the chips, SPAWAR reported reduced results. Reduced results is consistent with alpha radiation, no results is not -- unless the radiation is below a certain energy.

Note that most alpha radiation reaching the CR-39 from the cathode will come in at high incidence. If it were lower incidence, it would have a longer path to the surface, and would be less likely to have sufficient energy left to be detected. That would not be true if the CR-39 is very close to the wire, but if that area is subject to the hamburger effect, an elliptical track won't be visible.

The real key is the radiation on the back, but, unfortunately, they were using a silver cathode, which apparently has the worst back-side results, perhaps even zero. Why, unknown. But for a gold electrode, SPAWAR reports copious back-side tracks, no hamburger, and only behind the gold electrode, less behind the platinum, and practically none behind the silver. Obviously not background radiation, hard to conceive of that selectivity being chemical damage. I'm also worried that they had damage to the cell, I don't like that at all, because it indicates interaction between the electrolyte and the cell material. Did they use the exact boxes specified by Galileo, or did they think that something else they had already purchased would be good enough. Even if it was acrylic, not all acrylic may be the same.

And why did they use half the amount of PdCl2 that the protocol specified?