Jed sez:

>> They will write impassioned ballads of unfortunate ships flung out
>> of the solar system.

> I think it is more likely they will dispatch a ship to repair or tow
> the derelict ship back to the nearest port.

You are, of course, correct. Alas, taking the romance out of
exploiting another scary skify situation! ;-)

> I recall an sci-fi story about a ship where they could not turn off
> the motor, so no one could catch up. I cannot imagine any technology,
> no matter how advanced, which does not include an ON/OFF switch
> somewhere in the loop.

I believe Kurt Vonnegut wrote about this very issue in one of his
classic novels. I think it might have been "Sirens of Titan", but I'm
a little shaky on that. In the middle of the story, there was a scene
where engineers needed to build a space ship to transport a bunch of
people emigrating to another planet. The transportation system would
be totally automated. All the designated "pilot" had to do was push
the green button and the spaceship's completely automated controls
would do the rest. However, during the design phase there was
considerable argument amongst the engineers over the fact that the
"emigrants" would not feel comfortable boarding a spaceship that
didn't at least give them the option of stopping it. After
considerable discussion the engineers compromised. They installed a
red "stop" button next to the green "go" button. However, beneath the
control panel the red button wasn't connected to anything.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks