>From Robin,

> Hi,
> [snip]
>>Robin van Spaandonk wrote:
>>> (BTW minimum travel time to Mars at
>>> 1 g is 2 days.)
>>
>>I did not know it was that close. Any idea what the max is?
>
> The simplest calculation yields 4.5 days, but that's a straight line through
> the
> Sun (the longest time is when Mars and Earth are on opposites sides of the
> Sun I
> presume). Since going through the Sun could be a bit problematic, my guess is
> that a somewhat more circuitous route would take a bit longer. Of course you
> could also benefit from the "slingshot" effect using the Sun which would
> either
> reduce the travel time, or the amount of fuel consumed (by accelerating at
> less
> than 1 g, but still getting there in the same amount of time).
>
> Regards,
>
> Robin van Spaandonk

A catastrophic failure of the EM drive would not be good at mid
flight. I would imagine the amount of accumulated velocity at the
half-way mark would be more than sufficient to sling a spaceship out
of our solar system within weeks - that is, if the EM drive was
incapable of "decelerating" the accumulated velocity.

Shades of "Space 1999" ... a rather forgettable SiFi series hatched
from the 1970s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1999

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson