I wrote:

"They said the top secret government information was seldom more accurate or
informative than what is published in the New York Times."

I meant broad intelligence evaluations of policy issues and estimates of the
intentions of leaders. Obviously there was military intelligence far more
detailed and accurate than anything the newspapers had access to! For
example, a U.S. submarine tapped an undersea Soviet military phone line.
This was described in the book "Blind Man's Bluff."

The DIA document says: "This assessment is based on analysis of a wide body
of intelligence reporting, most of which is open source information
including scientific briefings, peer-reviewed technical journals,
international scientific conference proceedings, interviews with scientific
experts . . ." As you see, nearly everything in the document is available at
LENR-CANR. And everything at LENR-CANR comes from somewhere else. We have no
original material except for a few things like my book. So the truth is out
there. You just have to look.

My late spook friends said that most of the useful intelligence about Russia
in the 1950s came from freely available documents published in Russia. Not
spies or purloined secret documents. The Soviet government lied through its
teeth about a wide range of subjects, such as how many tons of potatoes they
produced. But if you looked carefully through enough books and official
publications, you could make a reasonably accurate assessment of potato
production. For example, you could extrapolate from vodka production plus
independently sourced info on people's diets.

Needless to say, the Internet and Google makes intelligence far easier than
it was back then. For everyone. I just read a new book by J. Adelstein
"Tokyo Vice" which describes how Japanese gangsters use Google alerts in
English to keep track of U.S. press coverage of their activities.

That's a pretty good book, by the way. It is recommend by Alex Kerr and Taro
Greenfield, who know what they are talking about. Kerr is one of the leading
Japan experts of our time.