At 06:19 PM 11/16/2009, Horace Heffner wrote:

On Nov 16, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Esa Ruoho wrote:
The U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency assesses with high confidence that if LENR (low-energy nuclear reactions) can produce nuclear-origin energy at room temperatures, this disruptive technology could revolutionize energy production and storage, since nuclear reactions release millions of times more energy per unit mass than do any known chemical fuel.

Note the word "if"in the sentence above.

Absolutely. The report does have "if" in there, but the overall sense of the report is that the science is real, i.e., there are low energy nuclear reactions, but that the technological feasibility of *practical* energy production has not been shown. I gloss that sentence to mean that.

I.e., they *do* produce "nuclear origin energy at room temperatures," though the temperature increases locally and substantially (I mean on the submicron scale and transiently), but the condition in the sentence really means "can produce ... energy ... at practical levels and in a practical way." Suppose a lot of energy is sometimes produced, but the amount isn't controllable, the process is too chaotic. Oops. That could make it impractical. Or suppose the supplies and energy invested are too expensive, and the payoff is low efficiency. I.e., you always get excess heat, but unless the excess can be produced at a high enough level, the only utility would be some extra heat, and the process and materials and investment might be too much. An Arata cold fusion hot water heater would work, saving energy, but the cost of the palladium would be fierce, and how often would the material have to be reprocessed? You'd get nearly all the palladium back and hearly all of the deuterium, but there are significant costs associated with these actions....

I do not consider it a demonstrated thing that practical LENR applications are known; the most likely candidate could be nuclear decontamination, not using what the reprort implies, but biological agents as reported by Vyosotskii. So right away, if it was up to me, I'd make sure that Vyosotskii's work was replicated. I'd send representatives to Russia to work with him. He's credible, even though what he reports is incredible. I find it remarkable that the report mentions Vyosotskii's search for magnetic monopole involvement in LENR, which strikes me as much more speculative than his work with biological transmutation and decontamination (acceleration of nuclear decay).

If LENR is real, there is no reason to believe that proteins couldn't manage to catalyze it, particularly if there is a reasonable experimental report indicating it. And there is. That damn Mossbauer spectrogram, got me in lots of trouble at Wikipedia. It's conclusive, you have to understand something about such spectrograms to understand why that is such a spectacular result.