Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

When the issue of Newman's motor came up on this list, and I asserted that their comparisons were meaningless because they didn't measure input and output power, I received a number of extremely obnoxious, and ultimately highly insulting, emails from a representative of Newman&Co.

But the point-blank question, "what is the power output?", which I asked repeatedly and directly, received NO response -- except threats and ranting and a meaningless "challenge" to bet $10,000 that no other motor could do better than his.

I read many of those obnoxious messages here so I know what you mean. I spoke with Newman a couple of times. He seems confused. He does not understand fundamental concepts. He is aggressive although he did not insult me.

What you have illustrated here is that sometimes personality faults combine synergistically to make a bad situation into a disaster. A stupid general will lose. An recklessly aggressive plus stupid general will not only lose, he will destroy the army, the way Confederate Gen. Hood did in the Battle of Atlanta a few miles from where I sit. (Gen. Johnston fought delaying actions in a long retreat from Chattanooga to Atlanta. This was a good strategy. If he had remained in command and held back Sherman another two months, Lincoln might have lost the election, and the Confederacy would have won the war.)

Another disastrous fault is too much faith in oneself or in the Divine. Field Marshal Montgomery described Gen. Douglas Haig:

"Haig was unimaginative. Maybe he was competent according to his lights, but these were dim. Confidence of divine approval appeared to satisfy him. Nothing can excuse the casualties of the Somme and Passchendaele . . ."