Horace -

The object was low in the SSW about an hour after sunset. Still working on
finding out the viewing angle and umbra position, but the max sight angle
was around 22 degrees. Came up vertically from the horizon out of the SSW,
turned towards the west and moved parallel to the horizon for a while, then
back "down" towards the SW as it darkened and winked out. I'm assuming there
that the loss of light was due to a change of attitude of the object's
reflective surface since it appeared at the end to have been moving towards
more sunlight.

I looked up ISS orbits and watched it make a good overhead pass the other
night at about 20 minutes later than the UFO sighting for a comparable view.
Apparent speed through the sky was around the same or a bit faster, and the
pale yellow color changed to the orange, then reddish orange color as the
ISS approached the umbra and went out, at the end it was similar in color to
the UFO. The UFO was much brighter though, and had the reddish orange color
through most of its flight, as opposed to the ISS showing that color only
for the last couple of seconds of its path. The UFO seemed a little more
yellow right at first as it was rising up in the sky and was at its
brightest.  "Up" would be coming from the SSW, away from the sunset and
towards shadow. The sunset that day was more colorful too, so it may have
contributed to the orange color over a wider altitude range. I would say
that after a fresh look at the ISS, the UFO was probably a rather large
object. It was substantially brighter than I've ever seen the ISS, and the
ISS, now completed and in full sail, is pretty spectacular.

R.