On 01/12/2010 10:49 PM, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

> On 01/12/2010 06:29 PM, Terry Blanton wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com> wrote:

> The field of a permanent magnet must be either anchored in the magnet's
> material, or knotted around part of the magnet, as in the attached
> sketches.

Oops, that's wrong.  The field of a permanent magnet must be anchored in
the magnet's material, period.

The second sketch I gave -- "bad-toroidal-mag-field-1.jpg" -- is
impossible to produce using permanent magnets.  You can make such a
field with a current ring, of course, but that's not at all the same thing.

The idea I had was that you started with a bar magnet and milled out the
center, and carved the rest into a smooth ring.  But the field as I drew
it is not what would result.  The real thing would have the field going
up through the magnet material, and down on the outside of the ring,
*and* down on the inside of the ring.

Sorry, no sketch, but hopefully the description is clear.

(And I still don't know what Steorn's magnetic cores have for the shape
of their fields.  For that matter I don't even know what old computer
magnetic cores had for a field shape -- sigh.)