On 01/14/2010 11:46 AM, Mark Iverson wrote:
> Abd wrote:
>
> "And the answer was essentially to first give a bullshit answer, that a
> capacitor couldn't supply
> the "instantaneous current" needed. Put enough capacitance in there and you
> could vaporize the
> conductors if you shorted it."
>
> According to Sean, its not a matter of having "enough capacitance"... It's a
> matter of "internal
> resistance", and the internal resistance of a battery is less than a
> capacitor;

No -- that statement is false.  It's the other way around.  Internal
resistance of a cap is typically far, far lower than the internal
resistance of a battery.  This is widely known and supported by a lot of
experimental evidence, done by lots of people, including myself.

If you have any evidence to back your (or Sean's) claim that a battery
is less resistive than a cap please provide it, and please specify the
particular battery and cap which you are talking about.

Compared with capacitors, batteries win on storage capacity, they might
win on self discharge rate (or they might not), but they lose bigtime on
internal resistance.