At 08:12 PM 1/30/2010, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
At 03:33 PM 1/30/2010, Steven Krivit wrote:
NET 34 is out. Read it carefully.

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/blog/

Feathers will be ruffled; yes, I know.

You don't know half of it, Steve.

Your comments, questions and critique, as always, are invited as letters to the editor, however, I will most likely not engage in debate on this here in Vortex.

Fine with me. I'm sure you have better things to do....

If you think you have a valid critique and are willing to put your reputation behind it, as I am with what I have published, then submit your letter to the editor and have your voice heard worldwide - and I will respond and answer to any letter that is honest, factual and concise.

Well, I wish you'd have consulted more widely before diving into this, I've been worried about your strong advocacy for Widom-Larsen and your apparent lack of balance on the heat/helium and "cold fusion" issue.

Indeed, some have perhaps overstated results, but it could also be said that results have been understated. In the 2004 DoE report, the DoE reviewer completely mangled the heat/helium evidence and totally misrepresented what the review said about it, and my conclusion is that it wasn't stated strongly and clearly enough; more accurately, the appendix probably distracted from the evidence in the main text. It was very easy to misread the appendix, and one reviewer did misread it, and then the DoE reviewer misread that in turn and turned what is a strong correlation between excess heat and helium into an *anticorrelation*, a complete error.

Heat/Helium is the strongest evidence for nuclear reactions that we have, as to the primary reaction. Because it involves a correlation that has held up, within a factor of two or so, across many experiments, attempts to impeach it through impugning the calorimetry and helium measurements, as I've seen attempted, become quite difficult and complicated, for it is difficult to understand how an artifact in calorimetry would produce a corresponding artifact of roughly the right magnitude (for d-d fusion, without at all assuming that this is the actual reaction) in the helium measurements. In this, the variability in heat results actually creates controls, and the finding has been well established: no excess heat, no helium. Excess heat, helium, almost always. Outliers may indeed be artifact, but the substance, man!