On 02/07/2010 11:48 AM, Frank wrote:
> What is relativistic velocity of earth to micro and nanoscopic material
> in space? I don’t recall the earths orbital  velocity

Roughly 20 miles per second, or about 0.01% C  (i.e, C/10000)

Escape velocity from the Sun is something like 40 miles per second in
our vicinity (don't recally the exact number) or around C/5000.
Anything we meet is likely to be traveling slower than that (or it would
have left the system).

> but know M&M were
> counting on it in their experiment and then there are also numerous
> other frames of motion (the solar system through deep spac etc..)
> Wouldn’t we expect most free floating gas in space to have a large
> relative motion to earth on the order of micrometeorites? My point is
> that shouldn’t we consider most matter that intercepts with our moving
> atmosphere to be relativistic?

The term "relativistic" is kind of fuzzy.  However, it looks to me like
most collisions with the atmosphere will be at velocities far less than
0.1% of C.

At 0.1% of C (C/1000) we have gamma ~ 1.0000005 which is pretty close to
1.  Contraction on that order would be difficult to measure.
Consequently, most people would probably say that's not a "relativistic"
velocity.

So, the answer appears to be "no".