On 02/08/2010 03:38 PM, Jones Beene wrote:
> [...]

CoE has *nothing* to do with the issues here. CoE is first law.  We're
talking about second law.

> and therefore greater emission on
> the nano-structured surface (superradiance) will be compensated elsewhere.

Jones, you snipped all but the bit where I said I didn't understand the
analogy with oscillators.  (Do you understand it?)  In any event it's an
analogy, nothing more, and doesn't directly address the issue of
blackbody radiation and second law violations.

In particular, you snipped this question:

How do you propose to "compensate" the alleged violation by subradiance
"elsewhere" if an object is uniformly coated with nanoparticles?  Where
is "elsewhere"?

Do you know the answer?

You also snipped the observation that nanoparticles won't radiate long
wavelengths, but also won't absorb them, so a surface consisting of
nanoparticles will be transparent to long wavelengths.  Did you overlook
that, or dismiss it?

You also snipped the bit where I questioned your apparent attribution of
my argument (very slightly paraphrased) to someone else.  Did you
overlook that?

> That can't be too difficult to grasp, once you get past the false belief
> that Planck's "law" is really a Law, instead of a general observation that
> proved correct within the limitations of its relevant time frame.

As you may not have noticed, I wasn't quoting Planck's law.  Rather, I
gave the argument, based directly on the second law of thermodynamics,
which you attributed to Brian Ahern.

The conclusion is that if you can make a surface which radiates a
different spectrum from a normal blackbody, but is none the less not
transparent or reflective at the "missing" wavelengths, then you can
build a perpetual motion machine of the second kind using that surface.
 Do you understand that?