Stephen

It's clear that you are trying to re-characterize a mistaken understanding
on your part, in order to try to win an argument that can only be won if you
get to rephrase it your own terms.

For instance: "CoE has *nothing* to do with the issues here. CoE is first
law.  We're
talking about second law."

Wrong. We're talking about super-radiance, Stephen. I never mentioned the
second law, and I started the thread. Why do you think that this has
relevance to super-radiance? Do you understand what super-radiance is about?
Let me give you a hint or what it is not: it is not about an ongoing
thermodynamic system or process.

> and therefore greater emission on the nano-structured surface
(superradiance) will be compensated elsewhere.

In particular, you snipped this question:

> SL: How do you propose to "compensate" the alleged violation by
subradiance
"elsewhere" if an object is uniformly coated with nanoparticles?  Where
is "elsewhere"? ... Do you know the answer?

Yes and I mentioned it clearly. The answer is subradiance, but one cannot be
permitted to define a hypothetical situation in a way that will only allow
one factor to be operational, without the other and then expect that it will
represent reality in any relevant way. Again you seem to be trying to
convert a "feature of a system" into the "whole system". Do you see the
logical error?

> SL: You also snipped the observation that nanoparticles won't radiate long
wavelengths, but also won't absorb them, so a surface consisting of
nanoparticles will be transparent to long wavelengths.  Did you overlook
that, or dismiss it?

I dismissed it ! at least to the extent that "long" is defined as something
outside the range of blackbody radiation (terahertz to far microwave).
Nanoparticles will absorb and emit radiation at wavelengths that are many
times their diameter - well up into the microwave range. But if you want to
define "long" as something else unrelated to heat, then that is symptomatic
of exactly the problem we are having.

You seem to be trying to tailor a partially flawed understanding, post hoc,
for the only apparent purpose of trying to win an argument based on a
straw-man invention that was never proposed.

SL: You also snipped the bit where I questioned your apparent attribution of
my argument (very slightly paraphrased) to someone else.  Did you
overlook that?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

> SL: The conclusion is that if you can make a surface which radiates a
different spectrum from a normal blackbody, but is none the less not
transparent or reflective at the "missing" wavelengths, then you can
build a perpetual motion machine of the second kind using that surface.

That is the false straw-man argument. You must know that, so why do you
persist? It is false, for one thing, because of the assumption that heat can
only be transferred by radiation. It is false for a second reason in that it
"tries" to extend a short term or instantaneous effect into an ongoing
process.

Do you understand that this is not about an ongoing process, per se? It is
about a type of radiation effect that was relatively unknown until Robert
Dicke got involved. Yes, it might eventually lead to a way to accelerate
LENR and yes, that could connote a type of "perpetual motion machine of the
second kind" to some observers, even though you and I know that if a nuclear
reaction is taking place - there could be a limited type of perpetual motion
without a violation of any thermodynamic law or interpretation.

I understand "how" you are trying to warp the very relevant finding into
something that it was never intended to be. The "why" is what I do not
understand.

Jones