Michel Jullian meant that the built-in built-in resistance heater might go up to 3 kW. There is no other input power. The heater is only needed to bring the temperature up to the temperature at which the Ni reacts. I guess that would be the temperature at which it readily absorbs hydrogen.

I do not think a heater requires any kind of fancy AC. It would be DC.

I assume they are using the same basic technique they have been doing all these years, only using finely divided Ni instead of an Ni rod with mysterious surface characteristics that no one else can replicate. Here is a long paper describing their previous experiments:

<http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/FocardiSlargeexces.pdf>http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/FocardiSlargeexces.pdf

Here is a well-known paper that casts doubt on Focard's calorimetry, but only method A described in the current paper, not B or C:

<http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/CerronZebainvestigat.pdf>http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/CerronZebainvestigat.pdf

If these authors are right, it shows that you can make a large mistake with technique A. That doesn't surprise me.

Anyway, this 80 W strikes me as odd, but that may only be a function of my ignorance of this technique, and the lack of detail in the paper. But what does this 80 W mean?

Maybe this means it takes only about 80 W to bring it up to the operating temperature. That would mean the cell is well insulated. In that case, how do they keep from drastically from overheating when it produces 3 kW?

Or, maybe this means it takes 3 kW from the heater to bring the cell up the recommended operating temperature, but after the reaction starts up they can reduce the input power down to 80 W and maintain the high temperature. That would be a dandy way to do the experiment. You might say it is self-calibrating, making it difficult to argue that the input power is causing a false reading. However, if this is what is happening, it raises a huge question. An elephant-in-the-room sized question. Why not insulate the cell a little more, and dial the input power all the way back to zero? In other words, why not make the thing fully self-sustaining?!? That would eliminate any question about input power. Why is there any input to output ratio in this paper at all?

Frankly, the whole thing is a confounded mystery to me. But as I said, I have been advised to reserve judgement and await developments because it may be better than it looks.